Need Help with Flat Developing a Curved Angle

timakachev

What's up everyone!!

I'm using Inventor 10 (2005 version), I haven't used the sheet metal concept of it but found the software overall I found to be very user friendly.

The part that I was trying to flat develop is a curved angle. I drawn up the part, extruded it and put right dimension fillets on it, but when I tried flat developing option in sheet metal features it gave me a whole list of errors.. the attached image shows all of the errors that I had.

Is there something that I missed to do after I placed the "Derived Component" into Sheet Metal file prior to pressing the "magic" Flat develop button?

Ohh yeah I also wanted to save the flat developed file as an .iges, .dwg or .dxf but it seems that the 3D object is being saved not the flat pattern. How would I save the falt pattern?

Thank you everyone very very much :D

angle.jpg

which part in the picture is your base? Meaning which was derived from your original sketch? How did you create the flange with the arc.

The sheet metal application in inventor is geared toward square bends(not meaning 90 degrees) from the look of the image above id say your part would need to be formed and not bent. I do not think inventor will flatten this because it would require deformation of your plate.

Typically if everything is drawn so that it is one piece and able to be flattened, you just hit the flat pattern button. I typically select the face of the flat pattern, right click and export as a dxf from there.

What is the part?

The part is just a section of a stiffener, the rest of the part is not shown because it will breach the contract agreement. Thanks for following through, I will probably take the 44% thickness of the part and flat developed it by crossections. I found the save options too..thanks for your help.