Isometric View

Kycannz

Im sorry if this problem is already solved in another thread but....i cant find any so.....my question is.

Im drawing in isometric view and want to change the default drawing angle from 30 degrees to another angle. How do I go about doing this? thanks!

you can rotate the view with ORBIT command or the orbit toolbar has a few options.

Not sure if you change the standard angle of a view like shaging SE isometric to say 40 deg.. if that's what your looking to do

View command brings up the view manager play with the settings and angles a bit..

I can tell you how to get into 2D isometric from the command line. Type Snap, then press Enter. Type for Style then press Enter. Type for Isometric then press Enter. You'll be prompted by AutoCAD for the vertical spacing. Enter your spacing. The cross-hairs are controlled with a key combination of & . As you toggle it the Isoplane will change from Top, to Right then to Left. You cannot change the angle of the isoplane. It's hardwired into AutoCAD. Sorry.

BTW...I usually toggle SNAP off (use the F9 key).

Right I know how to get into 2D iso view i was just wondering if i could change the default drawing angle from 30 degrees to say....20 or 10 degrees.

The Iso-snap is essentially a convenient way to work with isometric drawings however you could just as easily use the Polar toggle with the appropriate angles.

May I ask what you're trying to do? Angles are not well preserved from orthographic is isometric perspective so if you're looking for a way to draw particular angles in isometric that are not parallel to one of the isometric axes you may need to do some trig.

The Iso-snap is essentially a convenient way to work with isometric drawings however you could just as easily use the Polar toggle with the appropriate angles.

May I ask what you're trying to do? Angles are not well preserved from orthographic is isometric perspective so if you're looking for a way to draw particular angles in isometric that are not parallel to one of the isometric axes you may need to do some trig.

Im trying to draw, lets call it a chair for simplicity's sake, in a isometric view but show it at an angle where the side views are more dominant than the top view. To do so would need a lower angle than the default 30 degrees. Im kinda avoiding doing a 3D model of it but it looks like i may have to do it to get the kind of drawing im looking for.

Im kinda avoiding doing a 3D model of it but it looks like i may have to do it to get the kind of drawing im looking for.

I think you'll find that 3D models are easier then drawing 2D projections once you become accustomed to it. As an aside projections from other angles that are not isometric are often called Oblique Projections. To draw these you'll want to use the polar tracking toggle using whatever angle you're looking for if you're limited to 2D.

• 2 years later...

You can change the cursor angle to draw at different angles aligned with the cursor, BUT it only works in one plane, meaning for you to create isometric views with angles other than 30 degrees, you will have to change the snapang every time you change planes. I use snapang when drawing an object in isometric that does not fall exactly on the 30 degree angle. See images attached.

Hope this helps.

Pete

isoexample.jpg

isoexample2.jpg

• 11 months later...

Wow thanks for the Polar Snap lesson made drawing my Isometrics every so easy. Sucks that you can change the angles on the Isometric Snap, you used to be able to in Autocad 2000.

Right I know how to get into 2D iso view i was just wondering if i could change the default drawing angle from 30 degrees to say....20 or 10 degrees.

You might like to try this link, http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/48-568/2DVideosWEB_files/frame.htm

Chapter 40. You can also download the lesson in *.pdf format for reference.

It should be noted here that 3D drawing is an artform and as you learn the process you will develop your own style of doing things. There is no right or wrong way as long as you end up with the views and shapes you are after.

My method of drawing 3D would make some people croak, but for me it's easy and profficient. Your style will develope as you learn. And we suggest you learn to work with the default and adjust the angle of your views as needed using commands like 3DFORBIT, ORBIT, VIEW, etc...