Text disappearing in viewport

manhattan

For some reason the text in my drawings is not visible in any of the viewports i create on the paper space, however when i zoom out considerably it suddenly appears. Even in the print preview it does not appear to be there however its there in the model space and when i plot.

has anyone else experienced it and possibly knows what's causing it? im sure it must be some sort of glitch as its on ACAD 07 and ive never seen it happen on any other version, newer or older.

Check your dim scale, are you entering the text in ps, if so check your scale. Make it 1. if it is on your model space dwg, then check your layers, it may be on a layer thats turned off or frozen.

the text is on model space using the one of the companies custom dim styles, no one else seem to have these problems although they rarely produce drawings since im the only technician.

the layer is definitely not frozen or turned off, afterall it prints fine. the text is visable when zoomed out although if i zoom in so i can actually read it, it disappears

one of my friends said he has experienced this problem when using geometry viewports. this is the way i always create viewports (draw rectangle, tools -> viewports -> object) is there another way?

You can go straight to view->viewports->one viewport, then set it to whatever layer. thats how i make mine. Maybe you have some elev. on your text, thats why when you zoom in you cant see it??? Maybe try and get rid of the viewport all together and make a new one and see it wasn't the viewport at all. Glitchy stuff happens though... lol sometimes a good old reboot works too ;)

I had problems with clipped viewports in 2008. Truetype fonts would not appear. Is your viewport clipped? If so, turn it off and see if that solves the problem.

We had the problem on Windows Vista only, not XP.

ok problem solved, well kind of.

as i though it only occurs with objects which are turned into viewports so from now on i will be just using the insert viewport command like you described joe (MV in the command bar as a colleague just told me). In actual fact this would be beneficial anyway since with this type of viewport the grips are associative with one another as opposed to independent on a rectangle so resizing is quicker.

one of the engineers in the office seems to also think this only occurs with truetype fonts in vista, or at least thats where he's come across the problem before. It just seems to be one of those weird glitches.

Anyway thanks for the help guys, atleast now ill be creating viewports the proper way

as i though it only occurs with objects which are turned into viewports

When you convert an object into a viewport you are in fact clipping it.

This is how I solved my problem.

On your icon for starting ACAD right click and go to properties. Choose Compatibility tab. Uncheck all except the Disable Desktop Composition.

I found the solution at http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=5766522

• 1 year later...

i have had the same problem with an object viewport.

i havent been able to fix it yet, been to busy, so have just deleted the object viewport and made a new regular viewport.

anyone know what autocad thinks of this problem?