Any advice before buying a laptop to run AutoCAD Architecture ?

CAD-LOVER0208

Hello,

I'm looking forward buying the following laptop, is that going to be good for AutoCAD 2009 as I am a student and taking Architectural Technology Program and I need it for this purpose .

• Intel® Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
  • 3GB Memory
  • 250GB Hard Drive
  • Integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel®
  • Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
  • 1.3 Megapixel Integrated Webcam
  • 6 cell lithium Ion 2 hour battery
  • Built in wireless and Gigabit Ethernet wired networking
  • HDMI high definition video output, 3 USB Ports, 5 in 1 card reader, headphone/speaker jack
  • 1 Year Parts and Labour Manufacturer Warranty + Toll Free

Any recommendations will be great.

Many thanks

CAD-LOVER0208

Sounds Good.

I am no expert, but when looking for my laptop, I concentrated on the microproscesors. That was what seemed to make the differnce in price for the laptops also. The Intel pentium core 2 duo is what I have.

Autodeak products do need a decent machine.

Only thing you may want to look into (problem I had when I bought brand new lappy) is vista (may come with laptop) and you could have some issues (all fixable though, so don't panic if you get home and can't install cad, just check forum for fix)

What make/model are you contemplating?

Rendering via an x3100 could be glacially slow depending on the scale of your models.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=584827

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2007/02/system_requirem.html

Also scout around http://www.notebookreview.com/ for comments on the x3100 and AutoCAD.

Unless you're looking for the least expensive entry point to support modest models in class it looks like you would soon wish for better graphics.

sounds good to me too, the RAM is the most important, ovo the graphics card and the hard drive space (gb) but most come with a reasonable amount now anyway.

:)

Do NOT buy a computer that uses an integrated video chip. Get one with a separate video card. Why? Because an integrated chip will have to utilize the CPU to assist in handling the graphics. This will result in a noticeable performance hit.

Do NOT buy a computer that uses an integrated video chip. Get one with a separate video card. Why? Because an integrated chip will have to utilize the CPU to assist in handling the graphics. This will result in a noticeable performance hit.

I agree. I would rather take a hit of lower ram than an integrated/shared video solution. Especially with AutoCAD Architecture. I have used CAD on desktops and laptops with Intel video solutions and you get sub-par performance at best.

Hello,

Thanks all for your replys..

I actually got the Laptop... i wanted to try it and see how is it. I think it's great. The autoCAD architecture 2009 and Revit Architecture 2009 and AutoViz 2008 programs run very well, and i actually was shocked. cuz many people that i know are using it and they say that they are having problems with vista. for me, i LOVE IT, it's a very fast laptop, and the rendering works very well. i love it.

thank you all for replying to my thread..

problem solved :D for now :wink:

take care all and thanks again

:) oh thank you so much for replying to my thread, i already bought

the Gateway one

• Intel® Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
  • 3GB Memory
  • 250GB Hard Drive
  • Integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel®
  • Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
  • 1.3 Megapixel Integrated Webcam
  • 6 cell lithium Ion 2 hour battery
  • Built in wireless and Gigabit Ethernet wired networking
  • HDMI high definition video output, 3 USB Ports, 5 in 1 card reader, headphone/speaker jack
  • 1 Year Parts and Labour Manufacturer Warranty + Toll Free

and i actualy LOVE it :oops: it works just GREAT :lol:

have a nice day

• 2 weeks later...

looks nice, but +1 for the no onboard video card. You can consider upgrading to a 8800GT (if there is a version for laptops.. saw it at alienware store). Takes the pressure off the CPU, so that it will run more smoothly*..

*depends on what you do.. 2D or 3D.. 3D will chomp up your resources in notime if you do a complicated drawing (remember my old FX5500 and an engine part..)

Well best of luck but you might regret that Intel X3100 video solution. It'll get you through school though.

yep, I hope it'll get me through school, it's so good so far..

thank you all for helping :)

• 2 months later...
yep, I hope it'll get me through school, it's so good so far..

thank you all for helping :)

Hi I'm in a similar situation to you what laptop did you end up buying? I just draw all the computer jargon is meaningless to me!

Gateway.. I bought that, and it's great so far... i love it and don't have a problem with it...it works just fine with the amount of work I do in Revit Architecture 2009 and AutoCAD Architecture 2009.. :D

Intel® Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz

3GB Memory

250GB Hard Drive

Integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel®

Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

1.3 Megapixel Integrated Webcam

6 cell lithium Ion 2 hour battery

Built in wireless and Gigabit Ethernet wired networking

HDMI high definition video output, 3 USB Ports, 5 in 1 card reader, headphone/speaker jack

1 Year Parts and Labour Manufacturer Warranty + Toll Free

Gateway.. I bought that, and it's great so far... i love it and don't have a problem with it...it works just fine with the amount of work I do in Revit Architecture 2009 and AutoCAD Architecture 2009.. :D

Intel® Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz

3GB Memory

250GB Hard Drive

Integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel®

Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

1.3 Megapixel Integrated Webcam

6 cell lithium Ion 2 hour battery

Built in wireless and Gigabit Ethernet wired networking

HDMI high definition video output, 3 USB Ports, 5 in 1 card reader, headphone/speaker jack

1 Year Parts and Labour Manufacturer Warranty + Toll Free

Dear CAD-LOVER0208

Thanks for this! I've just started back at college myself doing a CAD refresher course, I'm already working on AutoCAD2000 but want to get upto date with AutoCAD2009 I mostly drawing temperature and pressure instruments and other mechanical engineering assemblies. I found this website my chance and think it's fabulous! I'm sure it will help me out lots! Thanks for you quick response and advice, Shell x

oh no problem, I wish i can help people more, as they do with me..

yeah right this is the best website... since I knew it, I got better in lots of things... anything i need I find it here, the people are great i never regret knowing this site or the time i spend in here..

So you are a student, that's good so you can download the free AutoCAD architecture 2009 and Revit architecture 2009 from the autodesk website.. http://students4.autodesk.com/

that's the student website you can download any program you want..

take care

• 6 months later...

Thank CADLOVER-208

Someone offered me a very cheap second hand laptop DELL VOSTRO A840 with Intel Pentium Dual T2390/2GB/X3100,and I was afraid of it wouldn't run AUTOCAD 2009 well.And your experience shows it will be no problem,thank you!:D