Merge closed polylines

VaKaDi

Hello all,

every time i use Autocad i realize how few i know about it...

There are so many things it can do that i do not know:cry: (yet anyway:)).

The latest problem i came across was trying to merge 2 closed polylines. That is i have 2 closed polylines having at least 2 same points with each other. I want to merge those 2 to become 1 or better yet create a new polyline containing both. I can not do it through PEDIT -> Multiple.

I guess there must be a way to do so but i do not know it...

Thanks in advance for any reply!:D

PS: I have searched for this question in the forum and found no answers to that problem! I am sorry if such a thread already exists!

I don't believe there is a native AutoCAD function that will merge two closed polylines. However, you might want to take a look at a program called PolyTools 2.0 that advertises itself as a collection of polyline editing tools for AutoCAD. One of those tools is a routine for merging two polylines (supposedly with one click). It retails for $100 (US) but there is a free 30-day trial available at:

http://www.swisscad.com/products.php?lang=en&product=polytools

I don't believe there is a native AutoCAD function that will merge two closed polylines. However, you might want to take a look at a program called PolyTools 2.0 that advertises itself as a collection of polyline editing tools for AutoCAD. One of those tools is a routine for merging two polylines (supposedly with one click). It retails for $100 (US) but there is a free 30-day trial available at:

Thank you for the reply:D. Actually i had searched internet and found that collection. Haven't still tried it though! But i still believe there must be another way to do this through autocad, for example with BOUNDARY command (only that output would be 1 polyline).

Thank you for the help... I will try that collection and see. Problem is it is not free! :twisted:

You can change status of closed polylines to open via properties tab; alternatively you can 'break' each polyline at the required vertex using "pedit", then "edit vertex", then "break".

You can then rejoin the polylines as you wish.

You can change status of closed polylines to open via properties tab; alternatively you can 'break' each polyline at the required vertex using "pedit", then "edit vertex", then "break".

You can then rejoin the polylines as you wish.

This was the way i do it... But i came across with needing to merge more polylines and also do it faster (time=money)...

But still Thanks:) for the help!

The method proposed by Doove is one I've used myself but a true "merge" option in the polyline edit toolset would be a welcomed addition. I could see a good use for it in architectural drawings working with walls.

Draw a big rectangle to enclose the two polylines. Use the BPOLY command and select a point inside the rectangle but outside the polylines. The command will create two new polylines: une superposed with the rectangle and one more that suit your needs. Just delete the initial polylines and the rectangles.

• Like 2

• 12 years later...

You can use REGION to convert the polylines to regions. Then use MERGE to join them together.  Then explode the region to create lines. Finally use PEDIT to join all the lines together. Do PEDIT straight after exploding the region because you can select 'multiple' then 'P' to pick all the lines up in one go. If you only have a couple of polylines then it's probably easier to just copy them and trim out the bits you don't want but if you have lots of polylines this may be quicker. 

On 10/16/2008 at 7:51 AM, ReMark said:

The method proposed by Doove is one I've used myself but a true "merge" option in the polyline edit toolset would be a welcomed addition. I could see a good use for it in architectural drawings working with walls.

The more I think about it, the more true this is.

It seems strange there isn't such a thing for polylines in vanilla Autocad.  Especially since polylines is like the bread and butter of most of our linework in Autocad.  Personally, I don't think I've drawn a regular "line" in autocad for like 12 years.

Every Autodesk product that has alternative means of drawing walls or other objects includes a way to merge the two together as one "thing".  In the case of Architecture you could merge two walls or slabs together and the program automatically "knew" that you meant to show them as one object connected at one point.

Revit has similar functionality.

There was also the group function that would allow you to combine multiple objects into one solid.

Later on, if something changed, you could ungroup the selection set at any point.  For example, if you had a grouped object consisting of 3 slabs or solids, you could ungroup them, fix whatever u needed and regroup them together again at any point down the road.

So, Architecture/Architectural desktop would "remember" what objects went into the original grouping on top of providing that capability.

Would be pretty neato to have this for polylines.

-ChriS