polyline section of lofted object

xteract

Hi,

I loft two splines using guides (cross sections) and want to create additional cross sections of the lofted object. But the section plane command doesn't seem to be appropriate for this job (?)

It is a fuselage I am lofting based on 3-4 sections (arc or polyline) and then want to extract additional fuselage sections.

cheers

can you give a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish.

Section and Slice commands only work for solids, not surfaces so you are correct that will not work.

are you trying to extract info between section where cad has made the surface? Your original polylines or arc should still be available for you to reference.

if you convert your fusilage into a solid and then use the shell command to make it a thin wall solid you will be able to use section to get a cross section at any point

hi shift,

well, I can actually use the section plane command on the lofted surface, then I can use the generate 2D/3D section option of the section plane to generate a new (cutaway) surface and it looks like I can separate the information I want from this surface object, (so I did eventually solved my problem :):) )

but your idea is quite interesting, I am new to 3d, only worked 2d so far. so If I wanted to create a solid my starting loft command should be operated in a closed object ie circle etc or else the generated object is not a solid but a surface ?

thanks for your help

sorry for the bad info xteract. Older version of cad would not let you slice/section a surface, 08-09 must allow this now and im glad it worked out that way for you.

To answer you other question. Im not sure that acad will create a solid if you loft a closed polyline. I just have never tried it with acad, but i know other packages do operate in that fashion.

There is a command in acad 07 and newer that can convert a solid to a surface, and a surface to a solid. But im not sure that this works for mesh surfaces. There is another post in this forum( i think its titled how to i start to draw this) where another user is modeling a wing and trying to get mass properties from it(solid). In there i posted a link to an autoLISP routine that will take a mesh surface to a solid(extrude it into the Z axis).

sorry i cant be more help. without having 08 in front of me i cant really direct you in the right path.