Detailing

flowerrobot

How do you do your detailings

Model space, paper space?

if you use paper space where do you do your dim's,Model space or paper space?

i am trying to convert us to use paper space, with dims and all things other than the items where detailing, in paper space.but stickly one tab on each drawing tho.

and just wondering how you guys do it.

also do you use x-refs?

how do you control them?

in regards to revisions and some thing like a master copy, and or one way x-refs(is this possible)

cheers

We place our objects in model space at full size. We then switch to layouts and insert our title block and border, add our notes and dimensions. Some people put everything but the title block and border in model space (annotative text and dimensions helps in this regard). There is no "right" or "wrong" way. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

We seldom use Xrefs so I will defer to other more frequent users of that particular function.

I'm not sure about your question regarding revisions and master copies. Are you asking how drawings are controlled? Again, it depends on the size of the company, the number of drawings, the number of CAD users, etc. One option is AutoDesk's AutoCAD Vault (it's a freebie). Further information available at the AutoDesk website.

As for dimensions and labels, they can be placed either in model or paper space but a lot more preferred to be in layout space due to the face that you will only have a few dimension styles to deal with and be able to control the uniformity of your text heights. Objects should always be found in model space, then scaled in their respective veiwports in PS, always consider sometimes one object in Model space can be shown several times in PS at different scales.

also do you use x-refs?

how do you control them?

in regards to revisions and some thing like a master copy, and or one way x-refs(is this possible)

cheers

in detailing, xrefs can have advantages for some redundant details that are expected to have some revisions in the future coz you only need to edit the mother file to change all other files that use it.

Xrefs can be controlled locally on your computer or you could deposit it on a Server computer if multiple users need to access the same xref for their use also.

but be warned, your office must have proper procedures to regulate these xref files especially during revisions.

but be warned, your office must have proper procedures to regulate these xref files especially during revisions.

Please excuse my lack of structure in my question, never being good at that,

that was more so of what i was enquireing about, we are a medium size office, with about 40 or so drafties and 15 eny's, with about 3-12 teams working on a project, hence me asking about the management of xrefs, as it could easily cause screw ups

Originall they had hear, mulitply tabs, but that was out lawed due to problems so they went to model detailing only, i agree with you both about the detail in paper and the item in model, but their is a few here that disagreed, hence i ask people who may be more well informed/not use our standards.

thank you for your help,

i must say its fun updating a system for 40 drafties, from lisp - template- layers.

here we had layers green - yellow, tho the phantom lines would be on a yellow,blue or red & a yellow line on the center layer ect so going from that lack of layering , its not hard from me to screw it up, but how do you generally use your layers?, im thinking simplest the best

regards

Flower

that was more so of what i was enquireing about, we are a medium size office, with about 40 or so drafties and 15 eny's, with about 3-12 teams working on a project, hence me asking about the management of xrefs, as it could easily cause screw ups

Managing xrefs is pretty simple but everyone in your office must be at least properly oriented on how to handle them.

We just go by having the xref(master file) filed in a permanent location on our server computer with FIELDS for noting when it was last saved, last username to have used the file so we could inquire on what changes were made. when any revision done, the original is saved a copy on the same location on our serveer but tagged with a revision code on the filename.

Layer standards can be based upon industry standards, company standards or personal preference. What filed do you work in? Architectural, mechanical, civil, industrial, electrical, etc.? Start there as the size of your company rules out personal preference. If you feel industry standards are too restrictive or cumbersome then you'll have to come up with your own.

If you feel industry standards are too restrictive or cumbersome then you'll have to come up with your own.

The only problem with coming up with your own, is if you need to

send your drawing out to someone, you need to make sure that they

are aware of how your drawing is set up. possibly provide them with a

copy of your ctb/stb style etc . . .

we work in mech,

i have being creating company standad layers, but just wanted to see your imputs,

we shouldnt have to worrie about sending dwg's out very often, only a few fabbies would get them, and clients only get pdf , or stupied dwg's,.

the only thing im worried about with the xrefs is,

if you change a detail, that will then change the sub assembly and arrangment.

how do you controll all these revisions or updates?

If the detail is changed and it is used as an Xref in another drawing of a subassembly or arrangement then the person who changed the Xref is responsible for notifying the person(s) responsible for the subassembly/arrangement drawing that a change has been made that might affect their drawing. How this is done is up to your company. Someone has to take the responsibility and follow-up or the whole system goes into the toilet. Do you use Engineering Change Notices or some such system? What do you have in place for a document management system?

Model Space FactorFactor-vs- Paper Space:

We do all of our labeling in model space. It helps when your drawing is revised. It keeps you from having to toggle back and forth while doing simple changes. I have a chart that I refer to to make sure that I have the correct heights and dim scales (and I know your about to tell me about annotative text. I like to do it old schools so back off:geek: )

Drawind Scale ......................Drawing Factor.....................1/8" Plotted Height

1/16" = 1’-0" ..................................192......................................................24"

1/8" = 1’-0" .....................................96.......................................................12"

1/4" = 1’-0" .....................................48........................................................6"

1/2" = 1’-0" .....................................24........................................................3"

3/4" = 1’-0" .....................................16........................................................2"

1" = 1’-0" ........................................12........................................................1-1/2"

1-1/2" = 1’-0" ..................................8..........................................................1"

3" = 1’-0" .........................................4.........................................................1/2"

As for X-refs. There are really only 2 ways that x-refs work. Both have to do with file structure.

1. Place all of your x-refs in the directory above your drawings and x-ref them in with a relative path. This is good for using one x-ref for each discipline (of course I am assuming that you have each discipline in a separate folder).

2. Keep your x-ref's in the same directory as all of your drawings, and x-ref them in with NO PATH.

If you stick to these 2 rules, then you can move your drawings around or rename folders, or what ever you need to do, with out breaking the link to the drawings. IE: if you need to take your project file and move it to an archive folder or CD back up.