Structural drawing

cjb007

Can anyone help me with this, im really stuck! thanks!

Description:

• A small factory building is to be erected. It consists of a pitched roof steel portal framed production area with a small office space located in an end bay. The overall size of the factory is 35m by 16.55m wide with portal frames spaced at 5m centres. The portal frame is to be fabricated from a 356x171x45UB. Eaves height is 5.5 m above floor level, and ridge height is 8.0m. This area is enclosed by 275mm brickwork cavity walls which extend from foundation to 1.2m above floor level.

• The portal frame stanchions rest on an arrangement of reinforced concrete pad foundations. The pad foundations are 1.6m x 1.6m x 0.45m deep. They are reinforced with 20mm diameter high tensile reinforcing bars at 250mm centres.

• The floor of the building consists of a 175mm deep reinforced concrete floor resting on the 600mm deep compacted crushed rock filling.

The following are to be produced:

1. A structural general arrangement drawing of all the structural steelwork, including a roof plan and wall elevations of the steel portal framed production building – scale 1/100.

This drawing should include details of roof purlins, sheeting rails and sag bars.

2. A cross section of the building showing the portal frame – scale 1/50; with apex and knee details - scale 1/20. This should also include details of the foundation arrangements and floor construction.

3. Details of stanchion base plate and holding down bolts.

Pretty much it all. I dont even know were to start!

Haven't been doin' your homework? :?

You might start out with a sharp pencil and some paper! At least sketch it out first.

Start by reading your notes, dictionary and textbook until you understand each part of the assignment. If that fails, go see the teacher and get some assistance, or ask other classmates for some help getting started.

For the drawings start by doing the "easy" parts first, if you understand it and can draw it then don't hesitate to do so, you can always come back and make adjustments once you get a better sense of how the project is going. A poor attempt is better then a blank page.

I agree with Tankman. Forget the computer and CAD for a moment and make some rough hand sketches. Can you al least sketch the plan and elevation views of the building? Can you also come up with a cross-sectional view? Also sketch up a cross-section of the floor and column pads while you're at it. You've been given a fair amount of information to begin with. When you do your rough sketches you'll soon discover if there is additional information that may be needed. At the point, swallow your pride and ask for some assistance. I'd rather not see you make a poor attempt. I'd rather you make a half way decent attempt. Return here with additional questions once you've wrapped your head around the problem.

ive got a 6 step process in how i work,

1. recieve instruction
  2. do handsketches
  3. Locate additional information needed
  4. Obtain additional info from appropriate party.
    (Tutor/collegue/classmate etc . . .)
  5. do second hand sketch
  6. If handsketch works - do it in AutoCAD inf not
    return to step 3.

In drawing the structural of a building, take for example a House. here is the usual order,

>>structural foundation plan- show the layout of all the column footings, wall footings, cistern tank location. if its a slab on grade- include ground beams.

>>First/Ground Floor Structural Plan- column, beam layouts, wall layouts, if slab show reinforcement detail, if wood, show floor joist layout, footing layout(hidden lines)

>>Second Floor and abov(if there is)- same except dont show the footing layout

>>Structural Roof Plan- show roof beam layouts, truss layouts, rafters and purlins up to their cut-offs. Gutter locations.

>>Truss Diagrams

>>Draw up the Structural sections of the building

>>Draw up spot details where necessary, i.e. Detail Wall Sections, steel plate details, bolting details etc,

>>make your schedules, Footing schedules, column schedules, beam schedules.

well thats basically it,