Very Slow Drawings Problem

gste

The CAD files I am experiencing trouble with have been completely fine until a couple of days ago. Whenever I open a sheet, or reload an x-ref, or copy with basepoint from one file to the other, it takes minutes to do so. No obvious things have changed, no new x-refs, or files. The drawings are set up as overlays, which should make them faster anyhow. But the weren't very large to begin with.

Anyone an idea about what could have happened? We're experiencing this with one more project in the office that we had just set up a few days ago. It was fine for several days, and now it takes forever to open sheets. We are working with overlays (versus attachments), and no or relative path. We are working in AutoCAD 2008.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Hi, and thank you for your thoughts.

I have tried it on several the sheets, but it hasn't worked yet.

Can you expand on this a little- should I reset this in each file that is x-refed? Can the scalelist get bloated by itself?

It is only happening in the sheets, not in the working files.

Any further thoughts are appreciated. I will post again if resetting the scalelist worked after all.

Feargt and nocturne00, I ran the command on all files and I believe it fixed it. Thank you!

Bob, I tried the program for the other project where we are having trouble with, and it worked and was really quick.

Thanks again everyone.

You must run the reset on all files even xrefs, a bloated scalelist is really like a disease in files, whenever you copy something from a file with bloated scalelists(eg. just a single line), these scales gets carried over to the one where you paste it, thus you have the same problem again, so you have to reset your scalelist again.

nocturne00,

Thanks for your help with this, and all the good info. Really greatly appreciated. I cleaned up the folders with the program that was on the Autodesk website, and our IT guy installed Service Pack 1. I downloaded your application and will run it also.

Thanks- good to know about this.

I didn't even realize that there is such thing as -purge (versus purge).

Is there a way to deleting the apps without opening each file?

Yes. You'll need a special program called the Regapp ID Cleanup Utility. I believe it can operate outside of AutoCAD too which would address your last question.