Hide Attribute in Attribute Dialog Box

nocturne00

Ok very tricky question and I dont know if its even possible, but I have to try.

We have an Attributed Title Block where some of the attributes are duplicated as an Attributed Field Expression, reason being? for the drawing code to be found in two places but only written once in the Attribute Dialog Box.

Question is how do I hide the duplicate Attributes w/c have field values? reason being again, coz they often fill in the atributed field w/c breaks the link between the attribute and the attributed field.

Hope this makes some sense, ill post a screenshot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nocturne00

• feargt

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The values on the green box are the editable attributes, the ones on the red are attributed fields w/c are sort of copies of the ones on the green box. problem is, sometimes we edit by mistake the attributed fields w/c breaks the link. i need to hide the values on the red box so it does not become editable

I tried directly using Fields linking to the attributes but the fields only show the default value of the attribute, not the inputed values when filling up the enhanced attribute editor.

the only thing that works is attributed fields.

But if anybody has another suggestion on how to do this im all ears.

02.jpg

Just a suggestion, Do the attributes in red really have to be attributes? Can u not just make them as mtext in your block with text field linking to your attribute values. that way only the attribute that u want edited can be edited. Hope that makes sense to you

Tried that, when you directly use a field or mtext with field value to link it it displays the default value of the attribute it is linked to, not the value inputed in the enhanced block editor

have u also tried a regen to update this text field. you may need to check your textfield settings, under options-user settings, to set when they update

I think that only works if the textfield is not part of the block, maybe that is what you did?

I also tried it and it works no doubt, but thats when the textfield is not part of the block

the textfield i require needs to be incorporated with the block, but when im in blockeditor(even outside blockeditor)the value it displays is the default value of the attribute. not the value i input on the attribute editor.

sorry, no answer here but I'm watching as I have tried this many times with no joy either.

Out of interest, how have you made the links?

Me too, been at it since morning.

the only link that worked is to create a new attdef and insert the field at the default definition(the button to the right of default(prompt, tag, default) in the attdef dialog box). this allows a sort of duplication of the linked attribute in the block.

downside is, coz the field is an attribute, it is also displayed and editable at the enhanced attribute editor when you input values. and sometimes we edit it by mistake.:)

I've never tried that (might try soon).

I tried puttting multiple texts in my blocks linked to an invisible attribute. That way the attribute appeared in the dialogue box with the intention of populating it from the attribute (needn't have been invisible - thought it might work) but I only got the same result as you. I also tried putting a "block within a block" - same result.

I guess we need to fill in one of those AutoDesk "what we want"s.

I think I have a solution.

do you use drawing templates?

If so and all your title blocks are the same then this should work assuming 1 layout per .dwg file (could probably be altered to suit more layouts)

Under File_ drawing properties _ custom

Instead of editing the attributes in the title block-

put the "tag name" and value here and then in your titleblock use textfields to link to this data. Look under field category Document to find your new "tag names"

So when u need to edit the data in the titleblock, you edit this under

File_ drawing properties _ custom (obviously if u choose this method u can create ur own shortcut command or button for it )

sample from what I mean is attached

I do not use this myself as we have not encountered this problem so do not know if is fully usable or not but seems to work out as possible solution

so any comments welcome

attribute_query.dwg

I know that does work as I've done it in the past.

The problem for me is still the same though, somebody new double clicks the block, types in the linked attribute field and the link is broken. Even worse in my case. I had written a batch program that allowed me to change the drawing number in a set of drawings which stopped working and left me with half a set of renumbered drawings.

try this, by clicking on constant when in the attdef dialogue box, this prevents the attribute from being edited by double clicking. obviously by opening block it can be edited or by use of battman comand

I hadn't thought of that. By the time I realised what was happening the original set had already been compromised so I lost interest. Do the linked attrbutes still update if they are declared constant?

Ok I screwed up somewhere, coz now the attributes wont link with what I input in enhanced attribute editor, even with the normal procedure I was already using yesterday. the field-in-attribute linked to my target attribute to be duplicated just shows the default value.

any idea as to what I have tripped?

such a bummer, just when I had something going, its such a waste to abandon this

not sure I fully understand what method you are using........are u trying to do what I described as possible solution ? or another method?

tried your suggestion on making the attribute constant but it made the attribute like a direct textfield, it only displays the default entry of the attribute in the block, not the inputed one.