Riser Diagrams

mattd@acdsecurity.com

My name is Matt, my company has recently expanded its fire alarm department to doing design work. I have had past experience working with autocad in the past (10-12 years ago) I am now re-introducing myself with Autocad 2005. I have the basics down to draw any kind of floorplan or layout and plotting them with no problems.

My issue is, I have a current job I'm working on is I need to do a riser diagram and I can't figure out how to set it up. With a riser diagram there is no "real world" scale to it. So how do you set it up with a scale factor, paper size etc.

And of course, this project needed to be done yesterday!!!

I'd appreciate any input to get me going:(

No, I generally draw my layouts in model space. The only thing I use paperspace is to insert a titleblock and edit the text in the title block then plot from there.

Welcome to the forum Matt.

Treat your drawing like any schematic (no real scale) and give some thought to what size paper this is ultimately going to be printed on. We do the same for our process piping and instrumentation diagrams. Our normal size is 24x36 but sometimes we're asked to print on 11x17. Keeping this in mind we make sure that any text and symbols will still be readable when reduced to fit the smaller paper size.

Does this help at all?

We draw everything in model space but the title block and border as well.

My name is Matt, my company has recently expanded its fire alarm department to doing design work. I have had past experience working with autocad in the past (10-12 years ago) I am now re-introducing myself with Autocad 2005. I have the basics down to draw any kind of floorplan or layout and plotting them with no problems.

My issue is, I have a current job I'm working on is I need to do a riser diagram and I can't figure out how to set it up. With a riser diagram there is no "real world" scale to it. So how do you set it up with a scale factor, paper size etc.

And of course, this project needed to be done yesterday!!!

I'd appreciate any input to get me going:(

I can send you a riser diagram if needed... just let me know.

CADken rises to the task. Well then Matt...you are in good hands. Take advantage of the offer.

well i emailed you (to what I hope is your email address) a riser diagram of a fire alarm system that we took over for a client of ours...

I'm not sure how well versed your company is with Silent Knight FACP and all that fun stuff (assuming so since you are a Honeywell dealer - saw from the website) anyway, this riser diagram shows the existing devices as well as the newly added monitoring modules on a VESDA system...

VESDA is another breed of monster, but I hope that helps...

btw, I'll attach the drawing here as well.

(as a copyright note, all the material in this drawing is from fully accessible diagrams through the manufactures website as well as Fire Alarm devices created by the company I work for, this drawing does not reflect any views or expressions of the company I work for, just of myself)

Accessible Diagrams used can be accessed through:

http://www.farenhyt.com/htmfiles/caddrawings.htm

http://www.honeywellfsgservices.com/

http://www.farenhyt.com/htmfiles/links.htm

RISER DIAGRAM.dwg

Hi CADken, just posting to consent, couldnt resist downloading. :)

very good for related literature in our buildings.

Cheers

Thanks.

I just hope that the OP was able to download the file... haven't heard anything so who knows?