How do I set scale?

dizzyliz

Does anyone know how to set an architectural scale of 1/4" = 1' with a paper size of 8.5 x 11 in the new Autocad LT 2009 version. I tried using the MVSetup command to set the scale and paper size, which is what I learned 2 years ago in class on the 2006 version. But my version of Autocad LT 2009 does not seem to have an MVSetup command. How do I go about doing this? I've tried several things, but when I enter in my line size in the draw command, the line goes right off the screen. When I took the Autocad class, everything fit on the screen just fine. please help. Thanks.

unless it changed from 2008 to 2009...

-Make a viewport

-Click into the viewport

then in the lower right hand side of your screen it should say vpscale: with whichever scale it is currently at. you should be able to click on that # and get a list of set scales. one of them is 1/4" +1'

Or the variable for the scale is cannoscale. so when you are in the viewport type that and put in the scale you want like this:

1/4" = 1'0"

There are several viewports to choose from: Named Viewports, New Viewports, 1 Viewport, 2 viewports, 3 viewports, and 4 viewports. When I click on all of them, I see nothing like you explained. Am I missing something?

My apologies just type "mv" or "mview" while in paper space. To create your view port in the area you want. After you create the view port, double click inside the view port to enter it. (It should already be zoomed to extents.) then type "cannoscale" then "1/4" = 1'0"" . Sorry if my explanation seems vague.

Thank you for the help, but even after doing all that stuff, if I happen to type in Line 5", I am getting an actual 5" line on the screen. I'd hate to see what would happen if I typed in 29'. How do I get this to scale down so that it will fit properly on the screen without being the actual size?

Do all of your work in model space (to scale) and then at the end you go into paper space and set up your border (if you have one) and your layout to be 8½" x 11" (or whichever size paper you are using) make your viewport and then do the steps above.

Objects belong in model space and should be drawn full size. It makes no difference to AutoCAD if the line is 5" long or 2900' long. Then, as previously stated, move over to your layout. Create a viewport then scale the viewport so the object will fit nicely on the sheet size you'll be printing to.

In model space, on command line type limits, except the default corner by hitting space bar.

Now how big is the object you wish to draw i.e. if it’s a building 100’x100’ give your self some extra room so type in 150’,150’ hit space bar

Type Z enter

Type A enter

Now you can draw that building full size, and be able to zoom in and out.

As for scale, make a layer called Vport, set current

In paper space make a view port

Click on view port to enable it, type Z enter, type E enter, now your drawing should be taking up all of the viewport window, click on the annotation scale box and set scale, you can play around with different scale settings.