What's happened to my AutoCAD??

I've just got in after the weekend to find AutoCAD behaving unexpectedly...

eg: if I double-click a bit of text to edit it, instead of going straight into editing the text I get the little square asking me to select the text I want to edit, even though I've already double-clicked it!

eg: if I select something to move/copy and then type m/cp again I get the little square asking me to select what I want to move/copy.

Why is AutoCAD not seeing the objects I have selected before entering the command? and why would this have changed over the weekend??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rooster

• nocturne00

• lpseifert

• NBC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a quick play with the PICKFIRST setting & my problem seems to be different. If I set PICKFIRST to 0 and then try to doubleclick something, all that I get is the grips on the object that I have clicked. What I am getting (with PICKFIRST set at 1) is the central square from the AutoCAD cursor then asking me to select the objects I want to edit/move etc. So basically, AutoCAD has stopped allowing me to select objects prior to entering the command I want to use.

eg: if I select something to move/copy and then type m/cp again I get the little square asking me to select what I want to move/copy.

just a little correction to this example: selecting objects and then using CP works ok. It's using EDIT/COPY that then deselects what I had already selected and then asks me to select objects to copy....

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! This is driving me nuts!! I have re-installed AutoCAD, with no difference. I have compared every single system variable with those from another PC where everything works as expected, but not found anything that could explain why I'm getting this problem. PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

What are your Selection Modes set to ?

These can be found by entering Options, and then choosing the Selection Tab.

See pic below.

I just tested out unticking the Noun/Verb Selection; and that restricted my ability to double click edit.

sel_modes.PNG

What are your Selection Modes set to ?

These can be found by entering Options, and then choosing the Selection Tab.

See pic below.

I just tested out unticking the Noun/Verb Selection; and that restricted my ability to double click edit.

My selection settings are the same as yours.

Unticking the Noun/Verb Selection is I believe the same as setting the PICKFIRST option to 0. Doing that lets you do nothing with double-click edit - all you get are the grips highlighted. What I get is the little square that you get when AutoCAD asks you to select objects, even though I already had my object selected. So basically it's deselecting what I had selected, and then asking me to select it all over again!

This is also messing up all my scripts etc :(

the autocad gremlin messed with your computer this weekend....if your pickadd is set to 1 you should be able to do what you are saying you cant do....i think the issue is more than just a variable...

anyone else use your computer between the last time you used it and today?

the autocad gremlin messed with your computer this weekend....if your pickadd is set to 1 you should be able to do what you are saying you cant do....i think the issue is more than just a variable...

anyone else use your computer between the last time you used it and today?

As far as I know, nobody has used it, although when I came in this morning Windows had done an automatic update (Security Update for Windows Vista - KB958644) & had reset.

OK, here's another thing I've noticed which may help diagnose the problem - I'm sure it's all linked. If I click on an object and then open up the properties window for that object, the properties window opens, but the object is deselected and has to be selected again for the properties to show up in the window.....

Ok this totally brings us to a wall,

the only values im aware of are PICKADD and PICKFRIST, which are the same values that can be toggled under OPTIONS>SELECTION>SELECTION MODES.

will try to look in other system variables that are involved with this

well if you reinstalled autoCAD but the problem persists, I was thinking of a registry values linked to your CAD system Variables but nothing really comes to mind on what variable that may be.

Have you loaded LISPS? they could change settings sometimes w/o your knowledge.

also, Try to browse your CUI settings, on double click settings.

ill post mine, just compare any anomaly. other than that,,, im out of ideas :)

00.jpg

Really appreciate you trying to help me....!!

I do load LISP files, but I haven't loaded any new ones recently, so I doubt that one of these is suddenly responsible.

I will have a close look at my CUI. I'm not actually at my PC today, but I will copy the CUI that I use with my laptop (where evrything continues to work fine, with the same LISPS loaded) onto my PC tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

After that, I think I'm left with completely uninstalling AutoCAD and re-installing from scratch, and if that doesn't work then I just have to learn how to use AutoCAD all over again and re-write all my scripts. Fun. :(

Just to end this thread, I loaded my other CUI with no difference made. I then completely uninstalled AutoCAD and re-installed it, which has solved all my problems, THANK GOODNESS!! Thanks to everyone who tried to help ;)

Hey glad to hear you found a solution.

But I suspect a LISP is the culprit here. maybe check the entire script before loading it. :)

Cheers

I was going to chime in here but you seem to have cured your issue. I had a similar problem recently but it turned out to be my mouse was not functioning correctly. The left mouse button was failing and would register as double clicks after I had picked some objects and then went to select move, or copy, and it would then ask me to choose the objects to move or copy. It was frustrating to say the least.

:) that would be a culprit hard to suspect indeed.

you would dig up all possible settings and variables when in the end it was the mouse who was the culprit. :)

Nice tip though, add that to how we troubleshoot an issue like this.

Cheers