Hatch fill multiple closed polylines

Rambo, John J

Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner with CAD (using AutoCAD 2005) and i'm not even sure if what I'm about to ask assistance for is even possible in CAD. As a newbie, my description of what I need may also not make much sense to you learned veterans so apologies for that!

I have an x-ref that contains numerous (2000+) polygons (which are comprised of closed polylines). At the moment the closed polylines are all in red outline, and I need a quick - or relatively quick - way to fill these polygons so that no two adjoining polygons will be the same colour once filled. I assume this is a hatch fill command but i've tried a few varying ways of hatch filling these closed polylines with no luck.

Is there a command or tool that I can use which will accomplish this for me?

Cheers in advance,

Marty

Are the polygons all on the same layer?

Yes. There's only two layers in this x-ref. the 'B' layer which contains the polygons, and a 'plotnum' layer which contains each polygon's unique reference number.

Then I have no idea how you'd accomplish that quick and eays, sorry. I'm guessing you need more than two colors? The polygons are spread out?

I'd say do several layers with different colors so you separate the different hatches that way. Start the Hatch command and just get hatching... you can fill several polygons in one go, so mark all the green ones in one go, all the blue ones next and so on.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

No problem Tiger, thanks for your help! I though that would be the case - i.e. that i'd need to create multiple layers - but even with that, there's close to 3000 polygons! Most polygons are adjoining at least one other one so yes, they all need to be different colours - or as differentiated as possible...!

Cheers again,

Marty