Fillet Problem

Laurel

Please find attached a drawing I have produced of part of a handle.

What I want to do is fillet the edge of the top surface by 1mm all around, but I am unable to do so.

Can someone please explain why, and perhaps suggest how I can make the fillet?

Thanks.

Handle - 3D.dwg

I finally managed to fillet the edges I wanted, but it took a great deal of trial and error into the order in which I needed to select the corners - I couldn't seem to get the 'chain' option to work, and the edges needed to be filleted in a particular order.

Can anyone please explain what is going on?

based upon your drawing, there are certain conditions that u must fillet first the straight edge before the curve, or try the opposite way, straight before the curve (or vise versa)

Hello Mugshot - Thanks for your reply.

I was going to post a revised drawing showing step by step stages I was taking in order to try to fillet another edge of the drawing. At that point I was trying and failing to fillet one straight edge, but as I created the revised drawing, I realised what you mean.

You are right that in this case, I need to fillet curved edges before any straight edges between them (I didn't know that - it was so frustrating trying to work it out as it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere).

My problem came when I wanted to fillet ONLY a straight edge. Paying no attention to the curves at either end of the straight edge, try as I might I couldn't fillet the straight edge. I see now that I NEED to pay attention to the edges ajoining the edge I want to fillet (curved OR straight), and in this case, fillet the curved edges at either end of the straight edge, in order to blend in the fillet I need on the straight edge.

Thanks for you help in making me understand what is going on. :)

... no problem, we are here to help the best that we could come up with an answer. in return, just try to help also the people in need...