Drawing Dimensions

islandeast

Some quick background: I'm using AutoCAD LT 2004 and I'm a beginner for sure. I'm working on a 2d dwg of a warehouse. In the lower left-hand corner of the dwg it says the scale is 3/32"=1'-0".

Ok, so I'm wanting to draw lines with arrows on each end with the correct distance listed to show how far I want a shelf to be from a wall and other shelves. After looking through my AutoCAD book I see where Dimension lines seem to be what I want. However, when I use them in my dwg everything seems to go wrong.

1) the dimension lines are so large that they cover the entire dwg.

2) the text in the dimension line in no way reflects the distance between two objects, i.e. a wall and a shelf. I want it to say 18' and it says 2". So my scale is off and I don't know how to correct it.

3) when I stretch my dimension lines they do not automaticaly recalculate the correct scaled distance.

I have tried changing the settings in my Dimension Style Manager with little success.

Any and all help or a tutorial would be of great thanks.

can you select one line that you have dimensioned (ie the one that dimensions 2" but is supposed to be 18') and check the properties to see if it actually says 2" as the length? if the length is only 2" then at some point the drawing was scaled down and is no longer 1:1 in model space. scale everything up by 108 and that 2" line will measure 18' long....and your dimensions should look like you want them to

Sounds like your drawing (the warehouse) has been scaled down to fit on the border. Use the DISTANCE command and take some measurements to see what its actually says.

Also your DIMASSOC system variable might be set to 0 or 1.