X-Ref Layers Don't Stay Frozen Or Off

jmn41283

I don't know what is going on with this drawing that I'm working in. I will be in a drawing and freeze the x-ref layers that I don't want to see and save it. The problem is that everytime that I come back into the drawing every layer that I turned off or froze turns back on or unfreezes. This is very annoying and frustrating because in some of these x-refs I'm freezing like 50 different layers. At first I thought it might have to do with the "visretain" command but that is set to 1 like it should be. I've tried detaching and re-attaching the x-refs, changing the project the drawing is associated with, auditing and recovering the drawing, and I just don't know what the problem is. When I open the drawing some of the descriptions I have never seen before and I think the problem has something to do with it. The description that I think is the problem is stated below. If anyone has run across this problem or dealt with something similiar please let me know what you did to fix it or if there is a solution. Thanks.

Two vertices were added to a 2D pline (0) which had no vertices.

Initializing...

I am new here too, but since you have had no help, maybe I can try. Maybe you need to open the xref drawing in the editor, as a drawing, and purge it. Just my suggestion, it probably won't work, but it is worth a try.

Almost definitely will be the VISRETAIN variable. As above, just set it to 1 and you should retain all reference settings when closing and opening the drawing(s).

Sorry I had to work on other projects so just got back to this one. It's definitely not VISRETAIN. I tried setting it to 0, saved & closed, then set it back to 1, saved & closed. Still the problem exists. I know what the VISRETAIN command is supposed to do but it is not working properly. It has to be something else but maybe it is related somehow to how the VISRETAIN command is read. Are there any CUI Settings that can effect the VISRETAIN command? Going back to my original statement, I've never seen the comment lines above when a drawing is opening and I believe it is related to that. Unless someone can tell me what those lines are talking about? I appreciate the help guys but this is just frustrating to not work.

• 3 years later...

I had this same problem in autocad 2005 and when I changed the visretain from 0 to 1 and mannually froze all unwanted layers, I saved the drawing, then reopened it and it worked!