Special character for ‘sunk’ and depth?

jkristia

I’m working on a homework problem, and of of the dimensions is a counter bored hole (I think that is what it is called), where the larger part of the hole is .75 bored to .25 depth and the through hole is .375

The example in the book shows this text at the dimension (the — is kind of a rectangle with no top line, the ↓ is the depth symbol)

3X Ø.357

— Ø.750 ↓.25

ON A Ø3.376 BC

I know how to insert the special symbols defined in Symbols (degrees, plus minus, diameter etc.) but I cannot find those 2 symbols.

Another question. The dimension shows 3 lines, but it seems like the dimension text only allows to be broken into 2 lines using \X, the additional \X is shown as regular text. Is there any way to get it to show more than 2 lines or is the only way to use a multi leader.

This shows my attempt using a leader, but as you can see those 2 symbols are not the correct ones

dim.jpg

I found down pointing arrows in both the Arial and Symbol fonts. Right click in MText, select Symbol, then Other then scroll through the Character Map. Haven't found the other symbol yet but there has to be one in some font somewhere.

More fonts can be found at:

http://www.cadcorner.ca/

There are no descriptions for the fonts. You would have to download any/all that you were interested in, place them in your AutoCAD fonts folder, then open AutoCAD and check each one out individually. That's the best I can do at the moment.

Addendum:

Visit this site. Join up (it's free) and see if they have any recommendations.

www.CNCzone.com

The Ultimate Machinist Community forums.

oh, I thought those characters were some standard drafting characters and available somewhere in AutoCAD - somehow.

I tried to draw the lines for the missing characters, and this is what it looks like in the book. But clearly it would be easier to insert a character than draw it (and remember to move it with the text).

dim2.jpg

Go into the text formating (ddedit, ED), click on the options button, select symbol, then other. Under the GDT group you will find the counter bore and depth symbols, and other dimensiong and tolerancing symbols. You have to pick the symbol then hit the copy button, then go go back to the formating window and paste it into the text field. Cumbersome but it will give you what you want.