Black & White PDF

islandeast

I'm trying to convert a multi-layer, multi-colour dwg to pdf format. In Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 I can easily enough covert my dwg to a pdf but I cannot seem to do it in black and white. The Adobe help that I have been able to find says that I need to convert my dwg to black & white first in AutoCAD then bring covert it to pdf.

So my question is simply how do I convert my dwg to black & white in order to make a pdf from it?

You don't need to convert the drawing to black and white. Your printed output depends on which plot style you choose. There are several default plot styles available. Try using monochrome.

So my question is simply how do I convert my dwg to black & white

A quick way is to type at the keyboard

-la (enter)

c (enter)

w (enter)

* (enter) (enter)

That sequence turns all layer colours to white/black, and also incidentally shows whether all entities have been coloured bylayer. Do this on a copy of your drawing, or exit the drawing without saving the colour change :D

I think youwould certainly be best off using the plot style method. whether you are using CTB or STB there are settings specifically for this purpose, mate.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm new at all this and I'm having trouble with the plot style manager. I'm not wanting to print anything only creat a black & white pdf. So doesn't plot style manager on change the output to a plotter? To my novice eyes it seems as if going to monochrome is only changing my current layer. Would I need to do this for every layer, then save the file and open it up in acrobat to convert to pdf?

I tired eldon's method and it did not do what I wanted.

Guys I have tried going to plotter styles manager and converting to monochrome, but everytime I save the file and convert it to a pdf it comes out in full color.

any idea as to what i'm doing wrong?

I tried eldon's method and it did not do what I wanted.

This method only works if the drawing has been made with everything coloured Bylayer. One often finds elements coloured specifically because that is easy to do, but without understanding the implications of manipulating the drawing at a later stage.

You need first of all the change everything to have a colour Bylayer. Type the following at the command line: (I have not put in all the prompts from AutoCAD)

-ch (enter)

all (enter) (enter)

p (enter)

c (enter)

bylayer (enter) (enter)

Then change all the layers to colour black/white as previously.

You may still get blocks which will not be changed by the above, so you will have to explode those and start the process again. Eventually everything will be turned to black/white, and you will probably say a few words under your breath about the person who created such a non-friendly drawing.

If you install CutePDF (or something similar), you can make a PDF directly from within AutoCAD and get the benefits of the monochrome plotting styles.

Thanks very much eldon. Using CutePDF method has worked well. And, yes, I have said a few words under my breath about the creation of such a non-friendly drawing.

Thanks very much eldon. Using CutePDF method has worked well. And, yes, I have said a few words under my breath about the creation of such a non-friendly drawing.

Perfect start to the week.

At least you have CAD tutor.