SSM sheet views and model views

chelsea1307

Just learning how to use sheet set manager and cannot figure out the purpose of sheet views and model views. any information on what they are used for and possibly how you use them would be great.

The Model Views tab lists the named views in any resource drawings that you have.

The Sheet Views tab becomes populated after placing a "Model View" into any sheets that belong to the sheet set. You can name and number sheet views and have that correspond to tags you place elsewhere in the sheet set.

See steps 12-16 in this document for more details.

http://heidihewett.blogs.com/my_weblog/files/Sheets_Happen.pdf

:x:x:xurggh, arrrrr, eeekkkk:x

i cannot understand sheetsets:x:x

i've read the link above, books etc but i cannot get them!!!!

I am not STUPID - so there must be one thing that i have not understood on the matter. It is driving me loopy:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I think they could be useful but....

I really hope you get it chelsea...

:x:x:xurggh, arrrrr, eeekkkk:x

i cannot understand sheetsets:x:x

i've read the link above, books etc but i cannot get them!!!!

I am not STUPID - so there must be one thing that i have not understood on the matter. It is driving me loopy:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: I think they could be useful but....

I really hope you get it chelsea...

For me its useful to link call outs like on a detail page to callouts on other pages that reference that call out. if that makes sense. plotting is also useful but publish can accomlish the same thing

:oops::oops:I am afraid I haven't understood your last posting - in relation to Sheet sets - but just possibly - I am losing it ALTOGETHER.

I am relieved (not glad) that you didn't understand Heidi's explanation. I have just tried to work thro' e-learning - no go there either.:oops::oops::?:?:?

I am sure I said this in earlier postings on the topic so sincere apologies to those who have read it before: when I try to 'use existing drawing' option in the wizard I get the drawing I am selecting opened - not a copy even. Totally confused....:cry::cry::cry:

ive printed and read that entire thing and it still doesnt make sense. any other ways of explaining it?

I'll try.

Your sheets in the sheet set are the drawings you are going to plot out and submit. Other drawings might be considered "Reference drawings". (Let's say one reference drawing is a DWG file full of details in model space. Also assume that each detail has a named view created for it.)

Now add this reference drawing to the "Model Views" tab.

After doing so, the named view will show up under the drawing.

Now open a sheet in your sheet set. Let's say it's a sheet full of details.

Now on the "Model Views" tab, right click on a named view and choose "Place on Sheet", and then do so...

Now switch to the Sheet Views tab. You will see the view you just placed. Right click on it, and choose "Rename and Renumber" and then give it a name and number.

Now open a different sheet in your sheet set.

Right click on the named view in the Sheet Views tab again, and this time choose "Place Callout Block" (you need a callout block defined in your sheet set).

The callout block (if properly defined) will include the named view "Name" and "Number". Now from this point on, if you change the name and number in the SSM, the callout block will update.

HTH...

I'll try.

Your sheets in the sheet set are the drawings you are going to plot out and submit. Other drawings might be considered "Reference drawings". (Let's say one reference drawing is a DWG file full of details in model space. Also assume that each detail has a named view created for it.)

Now add this reference drawing to the "Model Views" tab.

After doing so, the named view will show up under the drawing.

Now open a sheet in your sheet set. Let's say it's a sheet full of details.

Now on the "Model Views" tab, right click on a named view and choose "Place on Sheet", and then do so...

Now switch to the Sheet Views tab. You will see the view you just placed. Right click on it, and choose "Rename and Renumber" and then give it a name and number.

Now open a different sheet in your sheet set.

Right click on the named view in the Sheet Views tab again, and this time choose "Place Callout Block" (you need a callout block defined in your sheet set).

The callout block (if properly defined) will include the named view "Name" and "Number". Now from this point on, if you change the name and number in the SSM, the callout block will update.

HTH...

rkmcswain

Let me take this slowly...

Assuming I have 'house.dwg' - my drawing which has gf plan, ff plan, north south, east and west elevations. I then need to make named views of each of those parts (plans and elevations).

Then I open a sheet set - which might be one of the default sets.

Then into each of those sheets (which are in themselves .dwg files) I 'place' one, or more named view. I guess this 'placing' is actually XREFfing??

Am I correct so far, please?

Geoffers

I think i understand. So I need to put all details in model space and place them on the model views tab and then use that to copy them into dwgs? wait no im still lost. sorry

i created a practice detail sheet and created views for each detail but when i go to add it to the model views it shows nothing in the file i saved it in. to create a view you just type in view create new name it and select what you want to view to be right? did i miss something there or am i completly not understanding what your talking about?

I'm not sure how to explain any further without us both looking at the same screen at the same time...

Try this. Follow along as slow as it takes. SSM is a bit confusing, but once you "get it" - it's not hard at all.

* Open this sheet set: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2009\Sample\Sheet Sets\Civil\Civil Sample Sheet Set.dst

* On the Sheet List tab, double click on sheet 21 to open it. Open sheet 20 also, but make Sheet 21 current.

* Now switch to the Model Views tab. If nothing is shown there, then click on "Add new location" and add the directory "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2009\Sample\Sheet Sets\Civil"

* Next, click on the [+] sign next to "Site Layout Plan". You will see four named views that exist in that drawing.

* Right click on "Plan 1" and choose "Place on sheet" and then place it on sheet 21. (Don't worry about the location...)

* Now zoom to the lower left corner of the view and notice the detail block.

SNAG-01.png

* Now switch to the "Sheet Views" tab. Notice that Sheet 21 is listed now. That is because an inserted named view was placed there.

* Now switch drawings so that Sheet 20 is current.

* On the Sheet Views tab, under "21 - Erosion Control Plan", it says "Plan 1" -- right click on that and choose Rename and Renumber. Give it a number of 8 and name of "MY TEST"

* Now it will say 8 - MY TEST in the Sheet Views tab.

* Right click on this and choose "Place Callout Block" and then choose "Callout Bubble". Insert it on sheet 20 (anywhere...)

* Zoom into it and notice it looks like this...

SNAG-02.png

* Now right click on the "8 - MY TEST" again (in the Sheet Views tab) and choose Rename and Renumber again. This time change it to 4 and "TEST 2" -- Regen sheet 20 and the 8 will change to a 4. The 4 is the "VIEW NUMBER" and the 21 is the SHEET NUMBER that the view is found on.

* Now switch back to sheet 21 and regen. The detail block should look like this.

SNAG-03.png

So now... you have a view on sheet 21 and a callout on sheet 20. All you have to do is rename and renumber the item in the SSM (on the Sheet Views tab) and both the view and the callout are automatically updated.

HTH

8)and I want to backtrack a bit 'cos I now know I had left out a stage...8)

this post is now out of sequence but never mind...

and I will be away for a few days so will have to pick up when I get back...

hope you progress while I am away chelsea...

I understand the concept and can follow your example but when I try to do it on my own its not recognizing any of my dwg. files to attach to model view tab. They have named saved views in them. Is there something else I need to do there?

• 4 weeks later...

hey all, I figured out my problem. In the properties you need to select what file the dwg with the views is in in the model views section before the views can be added to ssm.

Doc1.doc

hey all, I figured out my problem. In the properties you need to select what file the dwg with the views is in in the model views section before the views can be added to ssm.

chelsea...

its good to read you have it sorted; i will investigate your lead...:?:?