Hole Placement

kam3

you can either use the hole command or draw a sketch and extrude it. or draw a circle sketch as a reference and use the hole command alligned with this sketch(will give you options for counter bore and counter sink etc).

When you create a new sketch and it asks you for a plane you probably dont have anything to click on, but if you navigate your tree on the left side you should be able to see your X Y Z planes and Datum axis for each. You can select your plane from there. draw your circle where it needs to be vertically, then when you extrude it you can give a start and end point etc. there are several ways, its going to come down to the detail you need and how comfortable you are with the modeling.

that helped me get one of the holes that is located on a face, but i need to places a second hole on the OD of a cylinder.

I have two verticle planes perpendicular to each other intersecting with a point on the surface where i want the hole located. with the hole command i pick the point, but when i pick direction i am unable to get the hole to pass through the CL of the cylinder. in sketcher i am unable to draw a circle on the point.

I've thought that i need a horizontle plane, but being a cylindericle part i dont have a horizontle face with which to align the plane.

glad it worked. It can be frustrating dealing with planes if the first part you drew is a cylinder and you dont know about selecting planes from your model tree:)