Linking Drawings

grain

I would like to learn about the process of linking drawings.

I understand that every instance of a Block is updated and imagine that linked drawings are using similar principles.

Does anyone know of any tutorials on the subject:o .

Also I'm having issues with exrefs that can't be edited.

Any comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I was responding to one of the items in this 10 top tips article:

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_tips_save_time/

Here is the specific paragraph:

Consider standardizing in other ways. For example, linking drawings is a wonderful timesaver. You can generate a floor plan once and then use it in multiple additional drawings. No need to reproduce the same drawing over and over. But what happens if you need to change the basic drawing? With unlinked drawings, you need to make the same change to every drawing based on the floor plan. With a linked drawing, things are different. To add a door or move a wall, do so in the one floor plan drawing. When you initiate an update (usually this happens automatically when you open a drawing) in any drawing linked to that floor plan, that drawing will automatically include the changes made to the floor plan. There is a price to pay: when you send an electronic copy of a drawing, you must also send all drawings that link to it, as well as any special fonts or linetypes.

select the xref, right click and choose "edit in place" the refedit toolbar will pop up, make your changes to the xref'd drawing, and click the save button on the refedit toolbar. and it should bring you back to the main drawing with changes made. The other way you can do this is to open the drawing that is linked, then make your changes and save the file, go back to your main drawing and reload the xref, which will then show you the changes.

Thanks for your help especially Noahma

I understand now. The xref is an additional file in the same folder that must be edited independently.

I understand now. The xref is an additional file in the same folder that must be edited independently.

It doesn't have to be in the same directory. An "xref" can live anywhere that AutoCAD can get to it.

Thanks for your help especially Noahma

you are quite welcome.