Viewport scales

guyzen2004

Hi I have this drawing with several viewports of the same scale, and the dimensions are already set. I changed the scale of one viewport but the height of the dimensions was also changed. Unlike on previous version wherein you can only see the change in dimension height of two different scales when you view it in the model space. How should I fix it. I'm using autocad 2008.

Where exaclty are the Dimensions? PS or MS?

I placed the dimensions in paper space. It's from scale 1/100 to scale 1/50.

I also noticed that the properties of the dimension lines were also changed. I believed that the annotative scale had something to do about it. I just can't figure it out.

usually dimensions in PS are unaffected in appearance regardless of changing scales of the viewports.

Im not particularly sure myself but it may have something to do with Annotative Dimensioning as you've also suggested.

Did you set your dimension style under FIT Tab>Scale for dimension features>Annotative or Scale Dimensions to Layout.

usually dimensions in PS are unaffected in appearance regardless of changing scales of the viewports.

Im not particularly sure myself but it may have something to do with Annotative Dimensioning as you've also suggested.

Did you set your dimension style under FIT Tab>Scale for dimension features>Annotative or Scale Dimensions to Layout.

The Dimension style at the Fit tab was set to Scale Dimensions to layout.Annotive scale in model was also set to 1:1. I further noticed that if check the distance between two points, you'll find out that they have the same result in MS and PS.

The Dimension style at the Fit tab was set to Scale Dimensions to layout.Annotive scale in model was also set to 1:1. I further noticed that if check the distance between two points, you'll find out that they have the same result in MS and PS.

Turning off the osnap will solve the last problem (stolen from another thread :)).

Ok backtrack,,, What again did you mean when you said "but the height of the dimensions was also changed"?

did you mean the dimensions adjusted with the change of scale but still OSNAP on the object in MS... or did the value of the dimension change

• 2 weeks later...
Ok backtrack,,, What again did you mean when you said "but the height of the dimensions was also changed"?

did you mean the dimensions adjusted with the change of scale but still OSNAP on the object in MS... or did the value of the dimension change

Sorry for the late reply. I just took time out for a while.

Anyway, what I mean is that if I try to change the scale of one viewport,the value of the dimensions did not changed, it's the properties of the dim style that was changed. The height of text, tick marks, and the baseline dimensions was also scaled. The remedy I know is to edit the dim style, and on the fit tab I have to change overall scale to my desired scale on that viewport.

Sorry for the late reply. I just took time out for a while.

Anyway, what I mean is that if I try to change the scale of one viewport,the value of the dimensions did not changed, it's the properties of the dim style that was changed. The height of text, tick marks, and the baseline dimensions was also scaled. The remedy I know is to edit the dim style, and on the fit tab I have to change overall scale to my desired scale on that viewport.

You shouldn't have to do this. If you're dimensioning in PS, the text height, arrows etc should be the same regardless of what viewport scale is set. If you have to change the dim style each time the scale is changed, then I would suggest that there is something wrong somewhere....

It sounds like you are actually dimensioning in MS from the PS layout???

Yes I'm dimensioning in MS from the PS layout. I don't encounter this kind of problem till I upgraded to 2008.I just can't hit the right note.

Yes I'm dimensioning in MS from the PS layout. I don't encounter this kind of problem till I upgraded to 2008.I just can't hit the right note.

Hi guyzen2004.

For this to work the way you want it, you need to place the dimensions in paper space (not in Model Space from the PS layout).

Alternatively, if you want to place the dimensions in model space, you should use Annotation Scaling.