Mating threads

sebko

are you trying to mate the threads to each other or are you just doing a concentric mate between the hole and bolt, and a mate between the surface of your part and the underside of the bolt head?

Im not sure that i have ever tried to mate a thread to a thread.

no i understand what you are saying i just wasnt sure if you were trying to mate the surface of the threads on your bolt with the surface of the threads on your nut, or you just wanted to put the two together regardless of thread orientation.

i cant remember off hand how the wording is in solidworks but i believe there is a tool bar that is dimensions/relations. You want to add relation and a host of options will pop up and prompts telling you what to do. If you want to mate them in a general sense you will add a concentric mate to align the nut and bolt concentrically, then you will add a tangnent mate(i believe this is the correct term). there are pictures to go along with each selection.

what version of solidworks are you using? if you need i can make a screen shot for you tomorrow at work.