Export 3d Sketch to Autocad

mgigliotti

We design structures using frame generator and 3d sketches generated a variety of ways. Then the Structural Engineers analyze the structure using Risa 3d, which takes dxf centerlines to which member properties, releases, loads and so forth are applied.

To date we accomplish this by exporting the model as solids and then using snaps in autocad to draw centerlines of the steel members; effectively REDRAWING the 3d sketch we already have in Inventor before exporting it to Risa.

Boy, would I like a way to reuse my existing data from my inventor model with out the extra (redundant) drawing. Any thoughts?

I had a vague notion of exporting as Iges Wires and going from there, but have not yet worked out the settings to get iges wires that acad will recognize as lines.

i would like to know if this is possible as well. I have exported sheet metal flat patterns as dxf files into cad before but never a 3d model. I end up redrawing it as you do.

i did read on autodesks site that inventor 09 has better cad model integration to allow data transfer from inventor to acad and so forth.

Shift 1313

You can export solid objects in 2 steps, which is better than none I suppose. (Not as good as one, of course.) Save copy as .sat and then use acisin command in acad to get the solids in. Unfortunately this puts all the solids in on layer 0, which is a bit of a bore. This doesn't solve my issue for 3d sketches, but might help you with bringing an actual inventor model.

thanks for tip, ill have to give that a shot with one of my inventor models. I have pretty much transitioned all of my modeling to solidworks and to unigraphics. I can move models back and forth between those two with no loss of modeling info(for what i need) and both provide me everything and more than inventor:)

but never a 3d model. I end up redrawing it as you do.

You can save a .SAT file, that will open the 3d Inventor model in autocad as a 3d model, it will be a dumb model but still a 3d model.

EDIT: Opps just noticed Mgigliotti said that.

i found that exporting a solid model can be done in inventor 11+ by going to the AEC Exchange application. The option is save as a dwg solid. While it said it converted a 3d sketch, when i open the file its empty. It did work for solid object and sheet metal parts in bent form though. It does make a dumb solid and will not let me perform any boolean operations but i can pick up on the geometry. This of course doesnt help your problem but i figured it was a good place to put the info.