views and model views

chelsea1307

im trying to learn about fields. only been working in cad for the last 5 months. As i understand it. I need to create a model view in my dwg to add it to sheet set manager to create a field across pages/spaces ive attempted this but cant seem to create the right kind of view. So far my command has been view then i select create new create a new view and save it. Save the entire dwg. then in ssm model views tab click on add view and go to the file where the dwg with the view i just created is at. and it shows an empty file. am i supposed to save it as something else or am i creating the wrong kind of model view? Any suggestions would be great

Open a drawing that contains the objects your interested in showing.

Zoom in on the exact area so as to fill your screen with the image.

Type VIEW at the command prompt.

Click on the NEW button.

Give the view a name then choose to either use the current display or window to define your view. Click on OK.

Save the drawing with the new view. This is the view that will be inserted into your sheet.

thats what ive done but the dwg file doesnt show up when i try to add view to the model views tab. should the dwg be added as a layout to ssm or kept off? does it matter? ive tried it on a couple different dwgs that have details on them and none of them work.

After clicking on Add a Location and picking the folder where your working drawings reside, slect the drawing in which you saved your view. Then click on the small "+" sign next to the drawing name. By doing so AutoCAD will display all the saved views in that drawing. Then just drag and drop the view name from the sheet set dialog box onto the sheet.

i am on a network but the one I am working on is just saved to my desktop. It doesnt give me any options, it shows folders and drives and when i select the folder it should be in, where the dwg is saved to there is nothing.

You said you saved the drawing with the new view. Right? If so, you obviously know the name of the drawing, right? Assuming that you do, open Windows Explorer and search your entire hard drive that drawing by name because it is obviously not where you thought it would be.

Well, if it would help I have several pages of detailed information regarding Sheet Sets back at the office that were part of an AutoCAD update course I took last year (prior to the release of 2009). I could copy and send them to you if you'd like. I am working at home today (Friday 11/14) so it will have to wait until Monday. They might even be on a CD the instructor handed out so there is also the possiblity I could cut and paste and email them to you (can't rightly recall at the moment).

You do know that AutoCAD included sheet set examples as part of your software installation don't you?

Monday will be a busy day for me as I have a roof installation being done on a process building. I'm the inspector. I will look to see if I have the info on CD first. If I do, I will PM you and ask for your email address. If I don't, then I will make photocopies of all the pages. I will then PM you and ask for your mailing address. Would this arrangement be satisfactory with you?

I'm writing myself a note right after posting this so I won't forget about you on Monday.

chelsea1307 said: "that would be great!"

ReMark replies: Then I will be in touch with you on Monday, the 17th of November. Talk to you then.

• 2 weeks later...