plotting scale

BCK

Hi I'm new here.

I've been struggling with trying to plot some CAD drawings (drawn by someone else) to scale with no luck.

I have AutoCAD 2000.

When I go to plot this file to 1:50 (selected from the Plot scale dialoge box) and preview, it looks to be 1:1 or something. It messes me up as well as I need to get these objects laser cut and the scale is off.

Could the drawing be created other than 1:1? How do I find out? How can I do this??

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BCK

• ReMark

• wannabe

• hotrodz0321

Are you plotting from model space or from a layout?

Have you tried using the Distance command to measure between two points with a known distance?

I am trying to plot from model space. Am I correct to understand that in paper space CAD sizes the drawing automatically to a sheet size?

There are some dimensions on the drawing and when I check them they come out the same as noted (would mean the drawing is 1:1?).

What is this a drawing of?

What size paper are you plotting to?

It is possible to plot from model space without necessarily making use of paperspace.

The drawing is of a 50m sail boat.

I'm plotting to 8 1/2" x 11" letter size as I do not have a large scale plotter (I tile them together for shop drawings). If there is several drawings to plot, I send the files to a local plotter or architect to plot for me.

This has worked for me in the past and I have just plotted off a bunch of plots of another project at 1:8 scale of some machinery without problems.

I am using model space to plot from.

I just think there must be some type of drawing setup configuration that needs to be changed or something as some files are easy to do this with, and some give me headaches!

Hello.

If you're plotting from model space then you need to amend the scale in the plot settings menu/dialog box thingy. Basically the screen that comes up when you press plot.

You will probably be best drawing a window around the selected area you want to plot.

Hope this helps.

I also have another inquiry regarding plotting...

This time it's from Rhino.

I want to plot a perspective view of a Rhino file (again, a yacht file from someone else) from a Rhino 4.0 evaluation version.

When I get the view I'd like, then click on print, it instantly goes back to the wire frame view.

How can I print a rendered view?

Hello.

If you're plotting from model space then you need to amend the scale in the plot settings menu/dialog box thingy. Basically the screen that comes up when you press plot.

You will probably be best drawing a window around the selected area you want to plot.

Hope this helps.

I do use the plot scale from the plot dialog box / plot settings.

I have plotted using the box over the drawing years ago but have forgotten now.

I do use the plot scale from the plot dialog box / plot settings.

I have plotted using the box over the drawing years ago but have forgotten now.

Its the drop down menu towards the bottom left of the plot settings screen. It will either be extents, layout, window etc. Just choose window and then click the new box that appears and it will let you place the window around your desired coordinates.

Sounds like 1:50 should be the plot scale. If it appears in plot preview that it doesn't fit on the paper then you can either change the scale or as previously suggested, window the sailboat, and try plotting at 1:50, checking plot preview one more time before printing.

Could you just type in 'UNITS' and tell us what the settings are, please?

I can't say for definite, but if its drawn in metres that would probably affect the scale. Likewise for something else.

metres are normally Civil/Geotech in my experience, though.

When I'm in the plot settings screen I see limits, extents, display and window. I select window, but no box appears on the screen, I click and drag a box over an area I guestimate a 8 1/2" x 11" page will cover...then preview. Its then when I see the image as if it's 1:1.

The plots must be at 1:50 rather than fitting the page.

in Drawing units, in the area "Drawing units for Design Center blocks" it says "Unitless". Huh? Is this the problem?

just set the units to millimetres and see if that helps.

If your using the letter page size that may also be a problem.

Just draw a line on the drawing at say 100mm and then measure it when you print it out to test your scale.

just set the units to millimetres and see if that helps.

If your using the letter page size that may also be a problem.

Just draw a line on the drawing at say 100mm and then measure it when you print it out to test your scale.

I changed the units to millimetres but doesn't seem to fix the problem.

The page size doesn't seem to be a problem when earlier today I plotted off several pages of a different project at 1:8 scale.

When the option "what to plot" is set to "Window", AutoCAD temporarily pops you back into your drawing where you construct a window around the objects you want to plot. This window is done with two clicks. One for the first corner and a second (at a diagonal) for the second corner. Then you are returned to the Plot Manager dialog box. At that point you can still set the scale of the drawing. If I use the Window option I almost always enable the "Center the Plot" option. Then I will do a full preview before sending the drawing off to plot.

When the option "what to plot" is set to "Window", AutoCAD temporarily pops you back into your drawing where you construct a window around the objects you want to plot. This window is done with two clicks. One for the first corner and a second (at a diagonal) for the second corner. Then you are returned to the Plot Manager dialog box. At that point you can still set the scale of the drawing. If I use the Window option I almost always enable the "Center the Plot" option. Then I will do a full preview before sending the drawing off to plot.

Yes, this is what I do. I usually select scale, then "window" the plot area of the drawing then preview then plot. Same thing really.

Do you think if the drawing is a "read only" file would cause this problem?

You should still be able to plot it.

Agreed.

It might be an idea if the OP could post a screendump of his plot settings window prior to printing. Also doing the same for his windowed area, which contains a dimensioned object, might help us to help him.