Linking Data to Excel Sheet

ziemerd

This is really frustrating. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I have linked to my drawing. The problem is the top two lines are being duplicated in the table. I go back to my spreadsheet and all is well. In the drawing I have not found anything that lets me delete rows.

Can anyone tell me what is happening and how I can remedy this problem?

Thanks.

Dawn

how have you got the table into your drawing? I have been looking at using a data link and the AutoCAD table with reasonable success - certainly more than I ever did with OLE.

Whatever you answer, I can't assist as I don't have ACAD here but I am nosey.

Thanks BOB'27T. I found the icon for deleting rows but I cannot seem to select a row. It only wants to select one cell at a time. If I select a cell and drag to other cells it just enlarges the cell I selected.

Dave, I opened Excel and made my table (this can be done automatically through extracting data from blocks and such in your drawing just so you know). I then went to my layout where I want my table to show up since I really don't want it in Model Space. Then I click on Draw -> Table and follow the instructions for creating a new data link. Then it lets you insert it where you want. You can modify some things in properties. The table in the drawing is a royal pain to move around since it's not quite like Excel so it's quirky at best. You'll have to unlock the cell or the table to edit. Good luck. :-P

Ok...I re linked the data to update the table from the spreadsheet it and it's fine now. I think something happened when I was resizing the table in the layout or something. I have found some really quirky things in 2008 so maybe it's apart of that.

I never did figure out how to select a row. It kept jumping from cell to cell in the row instead of selecting the whole row.

Thanks for the help.

Dawn, FYI, I couldn't delete a row earlier today either :). I had to reconstruct the data link. I was going to suggest that or if that failed checking the setting in your table format but since you are sorted now, I won't.

Had you used OLE I would have walked away. :D

and in mine I could select a row by mouse clicking to the left of the table to get the excel style row numbers.

Hey Dave, maybe you were holding your tongue just right or something. :-)

I was clicking on the row numbers like you would in Excel but it would just move the cell selection around instead of selecting the row. I was able to drag a window across and select more than one cell but not the row.

But now I have ANOTHER problem.

I created a new data link in a new drawing and it's inserting the wrong sheet in the spreadsheet. I insert it anyway and double click on a cell, right click, data links, and clicked on open data link file. It opens up the the correct tab in the spreadsheet but not when I select it to insert it in the drawing.

I think I'm going to have to move on to something else before my head explodes.

I don't have to modify the table now but next time I do I'll get a mirror and check my tongue. I think I'm glad I don't have AutoCAD at home and I can let you get on with preventing your head from exploding.

Ok...get this. I decided to work on a different table and as I was mucking around with it I realized I was able to select the row by clicking on the row number. Why I could do it in the new table and not the other is beyond me.

Thank goodness I'll be going home soon. I won't have to think about this again until Monday.

Well...until Monday...have a good one!

Update: I redid the link to the table I wanted since it was selecting the wrong sheet. I got the correct table in the drawing and noticed something interesting. I could not select the rows again just like before so I went back to the spreadsheet and saved it. I hadn't made any changes but I saved it anyway. I went back to the drawing and presto chango I was able to select entire rows. Go figure.

Thanks for all the help.