Having 2 versions or autocad

JasonB

I am currently running Autocad 2006 on my computer. I just bought Autocad 2008, and was wondering if i install it will it disrupt 2006 in any way? I want to keep 2006 just the way it is, but dabble in 2008 before i make the switch. Any help is appreciated.

You can have them both installed on your hard drive and they will both run. You will be prompted by AutoCAD 2008 to migrate any existing settings from 2006. I would suggest declining that invitation initially. You can go back and do it later.

I have/had both '05 & '07 installed on PC's.

I "once" had a conflict but, solved the problem. How, don't know but both reside on the same desktop(s) without any problems.

I used to have two versions on my computer and they didn't seem to conflict in any way. And when you have two versions of AutoCAD, clicking on a .dwg file will open the version which was last used and closed by you. So if you want your files to be opened by default by version, say, 2004 instead of 2008, open and close 2004. Or of course, just open 2004 prior to opening any files.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to have two versions on my computer ...

:? Just curious as to why anyone would run two different versions? Doesn't the newest version do everything of the old, plus more?

Arden

Oh yes...'09 adds so much more...Just do a quick search for "acad ribbon". Generally a new version means new and exciting bugs as well as some files which refuse to work in one version or the other. Because of this, many users prefer to have a "backup" copy installed to let them go back and try settings they know worked a week earlier. Plus, sometimes software upgrades come at a particularly busy time in the workflow. And if something urgently needs to get done, it's not the time to be trying to figure out this weeks new tool.

I always run two versions when I first load a "new" version. Thus, I have 2007 and 2009 currently loaded. As I grew more accustomed to 2009 I used 2007 less. Now I only open 2007 if someone posts a question here that refers to any pre-Ribbon version of AutoCAD.

I always run two versions when I first load a "new" version. Thus, I have 2007 and 2009 currently loaded. As I grew more accustomed to 2009 I used 2007 less. Now I only open 2007 if someone posts a question here that refers to any pre-Ribbon version of AutoCAD.

Thank you very much! That clears up my confusion. We have upgraded to newer versions of MS Office, but I prefer my old standby. And I DO understand about the new(er) bugs!! I believe it is "payback time" for all the guys (nerds?!) in high school who were harrased for their pocket protectors and dozens of pens & pencils!!:lol:

Arden