Scaling Problem

boiler6700

It is hard for me to describe my problem, but here is my best shot.......

I work in construciton management and work with both architects and surveyors. I have a drawing that was drawn in decimal unitless units that was created by my surveying company. I want to overlay the surveying drawing over the architectural general arrangement. However when I change the units from decmial to architectual or architectural to decimal the coordinate systems are thrown off and the measurements change. I don't undersand why. If I draw a line 162 units long in decimal and then convert to architectural I would expect the line to read 162'. Instead it read 13'6". CAD assumes I was drawing in inches. This is not the case. Is there a way to change back and forth from decimal to architectural without scaling the drawing up or down and keeping the same coordinate system?

The problem is I have a coordinate system set up for the surveying drawing. If I convert to architectural and then scale it by a factor of 12, I have thrown off the coordinates of my building corners and all my turning points.

The problem is I have a coordinate system set up for the surveying drawing. If I convert to architectural and then scale it by a factor of 12, I have thrown off the coordinates of my building corners and all my turning points.

If the model is too small then the coordinates must be wrong now anyway.