Trying to figure out 3D

ciperez

I currently have an assignment that requires us to turn our 2D drawing into 3D. I am having difficulty with the walls and constructing them. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to begin this process?

Thnx!

-Clara

Explore these basic 3d commands first:

-Extrude

-Subtract

-Union

-Slice

For the walls start with having the wall lines converted to closed polylines so you could extrude them.

Ok so I made my walls into polylines and I attempted to extrude them and now I am getting this message, "Cannot sweep or extrude a self-intersecting curve."

check your polyline, the polyline must be a like a boundary or a closed non intersecting polyline, meaning the polyline being extruded must not intersect itself.

a bit of a remedy is using BPOLY command, select a point inside the wall to automatically generate an enclosed polyline w/c you could extrude.

00.jpg

Loft is another command you can use in place of Extrude. And don't forget Polysoild can be used to make a wall too. Re: Self intersecting. It solids like you crossing some line (literally).

• 3 years later...

turn all your 2D lines into polylines using PEDIT command /join them all using PEDIT/ then extrude to the height you want. Not sure about your "Cannot sweep or extrude a self-intersecting curve." problem.

Why not use POLYSOLIDS?

Oh, just saw that ReMark beat me to that one.

That is the easiest way to go in my opinion.

turn all your 2D lines into polylines using PEDIT command /join them all using PEDIT/ then extrude to the height you want. Not sure about your "Cannot sweep or extrude a self-intersecting curve." problem.

PEDIT is not the best option here. And the reference to a self-intersecting curve means that there is something wrong with the OP's geometry.

Nov. 2008? May 2012. Bit of a time gap there, me thinks.

Nov. 2008? May 2012. Bit of a time gap there, me thinks.

Okay, so you beat me by a generous margin then. A bot before your time. :beer:

That would have been shortly after I started drafting. :wink:

I was referring more to the start date of the thread and the most recent revival. I travel through time quite often. You should give it a try.

Yes, I'd missed that in my first post.

Seems our newest newbie is necromantically inclined.

He'll get over it! :beer:

Where I live I can travel through time by stepping off my porch, or asking my wife to explain earthquakes to me. :)

forget polylines for now - explode all (don't say that very often)

forget extrude for now - use polysolid or presspull as suggested

Once you get a bit more experience then you can worry about polylines.

I'm not worried about them eating my laptop, it is way too big for them, what is a greater concern, and MUCH bigger are .....

the water MONITOR lizards that live at the back of the property by the river (biggest one must be 5 feet long!).

With a name like that you can't be too careful! :beer:

P.S. Hey, check that last post out, I think ANONYMOUS has hacked into JD's forum ID!!!!! :wink:

Has to be an imposter. JDM would never recommend the use of the EXPLODE :bomb: command.:lol:

Barring being in danger, :danger: or under extreme duress!

.........not once is the word MODERN used, and there is not a single word in the entire body of the post which begins with the letter I? :shock:

That does it, I'm gonna notify the authorities, :police: the evidence is just too compelling!

I hope JD's okay, though! :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

We have our own version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. However, the part of J.D. Mather, is being played by Donald Sutherland.