Exporting GSI/DXF?

JimBob

Hey,

Basically I want to find a way to take points from an autoCAD drawing and upload them to my Lieca 1200+ instrument. My instrument can import DXF or GSI files but I can't find anything that can convert drawings from CAD into these files to upload. Do you know a way or could you possibly point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for your help.

In the autocad drawing are the objects autocad points? or block symbols representing points? can u post a sample? actually no u can't not until u have made 10 posts I believe.

As you have LT, you are limited to manual uploads. Perhaps your best route (with no added cost) is to draw a polyline through all your points in order, then list, and copy from the text page of AutoCAD into a text programme to make data in a comma delineated file then into Survey Office (don't Leica still give Survey Office which creates data files?)

Getting data from AutoCAD into a theodolite is easy if you have the money, but it can be done for free with ingenuity.

Yeah I have Leica Geo Office and I can get the inormation into that from the my surveys but they don't let you create GSI/DXF/DWG files with that anymore because they want you to spend hundreds on LISCAD. As you say, its a matter of money.

Leica Geo Office has the facility for importing and exporting of user-defined ASCII files for transfer of data to GIS systems. I think that you would be better advised to direct your energies to this route, rather than to believe the hype about DXF files importing. I will believe that when I see it :shock:.

I thought that Leica GSI format was a space delineated format peculiar to Leica, and is not GIS.

Leica Geo Office has the facility for importing and exporting of user-defined ASCII files for transfer of data to GIS systems. I think that you would be better advised to direct your energies to this route, rather than to believe the hype about DXF files importing. I will believe that when I see it :shock:.

I thought that Leica GSI format was a space delineated format peculiar to Leica, and is not GIS.

Leica Geo Office doesn't seem to allow me to export as GSI. The option is there but its greyed out. Maybe I need an addon to allow GSI exporting but I haven't found anything as of yet.

A quote from the Leica Geo Office handbook.

pix.gifChoose the way you want to work. Configure and set the software for your preferences and requirements. Set panels and screens to display the information that you need and in the formats you prefer. Define import and export masks for the way you have to handle data.

LEICA Geo Office can be customized easily and quickly.

I think you will have to a bit of exploring

Managed to sort it out now I think. I just need to ID all the points I need from CAD put them in a text file. I then create a template in Geo Office and import the file correctly. Then I can export to GIS. The only problem is it seems the company I work for hasn't paid for the licence to cover the GIS/CAD export facility so I'll just have to sort that out and it should work.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT:

I just found out you don't need to save as a GIS to upload to the TPS 1200. If you right click on the project in Geo Ofiice you can send to the CF card in TPS 1200 format. Just incase anyone does have the same problem I had.