How to Check if MS is 1:1

ziemerd

Oh...this is such a newbie question...I'm embarrassed to ask but I've got to.

An engineer has given me his drawing and I don't think he drew it 1:1 in Model Space. If I go to a layout and use a viewport and set the scale to 1:1 the drawing shrinks to a speck and this is a 19" panel.

My question is, how do I check to see if Model Space is set to 1:1?

Thanks.

Dawn

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ziemerd

• dumfatnhappy

• EMS_0525

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh...this is such a newbie question...I'm embarrassed to ask but I've got to.

An engineer has given me his drawing and I don't think he drew it 1:1 in Model Space. If I go to a layout and use a viewport and set the scale to 1:1 the drawing shrinks to a speck and this is a 19" panel.

My question is, how do I check to see if Model Space is set to 1:1?

Thanks.

Dawn

zoom 1/1xp if it doesn't come up to "scale" zoom in and pull a dimension and see what's what. odd's are if he's a dirt merchant (civil) you'll need to scale it all up by 12

if it's just off completely and you know what the length of something is you can scale everything up using the 'reference' option

hope this helps

I'm not sure how to zoom 1/1xp. However I did draw a line that was the length the panel is suppose to be and the line is much longer than the panel. I did this in MS by the way. I also tried to use Scale and Reference but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. It blew up the panel to Godzilla size.

I'm not sure how to zoom 1/1xp. However I did draw a line that was the length the panel is suppose to be and the line is much longer than the panel. I did this in MS by the way. I also tried to use Scale and Reference but I don't think I'm doing it correctly. It blew up the panel to Godzilla size.

when in PS click into model viewport and type z (enter) 1/1xp (enter) and that will bring you to 1 to 1. (i.e. 1/24xp is 1/2"=1ft , 1/48xp is 1/4"=1' , etc..

to scale something to a certain length type scale; pick a line (enter) pick a base point (enter R (for reference) pick that basepoint and then the other end of that line (enter) then type the correct length (enter)

Ok...I just checked with the engineer and he doesn't know. What he did is take a Visio drawing and saved it as a DXF then opened it in AutoCAD. So something must have happened when he converted the drawing to AutoCAD.

Any ideas on how I could fix it?

Thanks.

Ok...I just checked with the engineer and he doesn't know. What he did is take a Visio drawing and saved it as a DXF then opened it in AutoCAD. So something must have happened when he converted the drawing to AutoCAD.

Any ideas on how I could fix it?

Thanks.

if you know the length of any segment you can scale the entire drawing using the reference method

I'd be surprised if a visio drawing was anything but a guess. I would draw a line for your 19" panel starting at one corner of your panel.

SCALE

select everything but your new line.

select the corner you drew your line from as your base and then type R

click your first corner and the other end of your panel (this is your length you want scaled)

select the far end of your 19" line. Your drawing should now scale to 19"

The problem you may now have is that the initial drawing wasn't drawn to scale so your vertical length may be wrong. Check if it is nearly a U measurement ans stretch to get it as close as possible.

"1" in autocad could be anything, milimeters, inches, feet, or perches... my last job we drew at 1= 1', my new job we draw at 1=1" see if this helps... "1" maybe mm, or M.

If you have an object that is 15" long and it needs to be 20" long just divide the length it needs to be (20) by what it is (15) and you have to scale it up by 1.333333. Personally i dont use reference in the scale command, i just do the math.

Excellent! Thanks Dum. The scale and reference worked!

But now I have a different problem. I drew a line in Model Space the correct length which is 605.79 mm and dimensioned it. The dimension said it was 15572.36 mm. How do I correct this in Model Space?

By the way, thanks for the instructions for the 1/1xp. I never learned how to do that so I appreciate it.

go to your current dimstlye, modify, under primary units tab, make sure the measurement scale factor is at 1. it probably 25.7

ddim to me :wink:

Maybe I should explain the units. The drawing is of a standard 19" panel for a standard rack but all our drawings need to be in metric hence the metric dimensions.

Maybe I should explain the units. The drawing is of a standard 19" panel for a standard rack but all our drawings need to be in metric hence the metric dimensions.

go to "primary units" and make it 'decimal' then enter a scale factor of 25.4 ?

Thanks EMS-0525. That did the trick! I went to DIMSTYLE and the units were set to 25.4. I changed it to 1 and my dimension came out correct.

Wow! I learned a lot! Thanks to all of you.

Dave thanks for the clarity on the Scale and Reference. That makes it easier to use.

And now I know about DDIM. Thanks Dum.

good luck with that.... english drawings with metric dims is bad news. but it should just be 25.4 then.

much agreed......better choice may be to implment alternate units so it shows both imperial/metric

much agreed......better choice may be to implment alternate units so it shows both imperial/metric
that's how I do it. We have an odd selection of "US" drawings. All were drawn metric but some got scaled but keeping dual dimensioning turned on leaves no doubt about sizes.

that's how I do it. We have an odd selection of "US" drawings. All were drawn metric but some got scaled but keeping dual dimensioning turned on leaves no doubt about sizes.

i got totally schooled (more like OWNED) while working in the middle east.... everything was drawn in meters no less.... :?