ACAD MAP? what is the advantages?

azman

My HOD ask me to give reasons why i need autocad MAP? I can't find URL in here. Can somebody help?

I'm currently working in offshore survey industri and normally we use acad MAP to attach geo-tiiff images in autocad, besides transform a dwg from a datum to another datum. Any thing else ACAD MAP can do? Thanks n regards

You should start here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=3081357&siteID=123112

AutoCAD Map bridges the gap between CAD and GIS. When you visit the AutoDesk website take a look at the topics: Customer Stories and Frequently Asked Questions. Also note that you can obtain a free 30-day trial of the software by download or on DVD.

In addition to what ReMark said, you can attach many formats of data to a .dwg via Map. See this thread for a list of formats you can attach.

Beyond that you are able to perform queries on other dwgs. You can output the queries either in your current dwg or to a report. Using queries you can bring in data from another dwg and modify it, add labels to it, who knows what else.

There are times when a dwg file might get corrupted and if you only have AutoCAD you might lose the work you did, but with Map you can query the data into a new dwg and sometimes save the work. This doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

You can also use it to create thematic maps.

If you decide to get Map you may as well get Civil 3D as it comes with Map and I don't think the cost is too awful much more.

You can also set coordinate systems and import .shp files that you download online. Well not only shape but alot of different design program files that counties and states use while making gis files

If you decide to get Map you may as well get Civil 3D as it comes with Map and I don't think the cost is too awful much more.

I agree, you get a lot more software for a little extra expense.