Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

johnshar123xx

AutoCAD 2008

Tough Question - Layer Locking (Make Layer Visible But No Pick)

1.) As of now if I lock a layer, the objects cannot be moved or edited, but autocad still highlights them when the objects on this locked layer are selected. I was wondering if anyone

knows if there is a layer lock setting that would allow you to lock a layer but no be able to select it. For example I have a site plan xref in the background and I am drawing on top of it. Every time I try to work on top of this xref I end up selecting the background as well which causes the system to slow down because it is selecting the entire xref background. I want to be able to lock layer the xref is on and not be able to select it in my drawing.

Thank You

Greg Holtzman over at the AUGI forums came up with this workaround.

"If you go to Tools-Options-Selection and under the Grips section, deselect Enable grips within blocks. I have tried it on several dwgs and it seems to be working well."