Anyone Still have Autocad R12 Windows?

TAZIN

Does anyone still have there AutoCAD Release 12 for Windows disks (software)? I would like to install; or shall I say reinstall; Release12 for windows on an old computer, but one of my diskettes is damaged which leaves me two files short. Unfortunately, the damaged diskette (disk #2 "Executables-2") contains "Acad.pt2" and "Acadapp.exe" of which both are vital to getting AutoCAD to run. So, if anybody still has there original disks/files for AutoCAD Release12 please let me know if you can help me out.

My second option I guess would be to ask if anyone has these files : Acad.exe and Acadapp.exe for AutoCAD Release 12 for Windows. These would be files from a "installed" program. Since "Acad.pt2" is just the second half of what makes up "Acad.exe" I could take someone's Acad.exe, dismantle it; and reassemble it using the my first part "Acad.per". This way my info: Name, Company, etc.. is preserved.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• TAZIN

• Raggi_Thor

• Jack_O'neill

• 1 month later...

The R13 includes in the CD the r12 for windows if im not in a mistake.

have this CD's so i can give you the files you need. (i have this big box somewhere in my warehouse.

Thanks for the reply "atari". If and when you get a chance to dig up that cd I'd be interested in a few files for AutoCad R12 for Windows. Kinda wierd that the R13 cd-rom would have R12 on it....

Ok, I guess some R13 cd's came with R12 too... "StyFacE", is there any chance you can find out which version (e.g. C0, C1, C3, C4,) you have?

Thanks "atari" for posting the files. I'll see if I can resurrect my old version once again. If I run into any road blocks I'll post here again.

Thanks for the reply "atari". If and when you get a chance to dig up that cd I'd be interested in a few files for AutoCad R12 for Windows. Kinda wierd that the R13 cd-rom would have R12 on it....

If you've ever used R13 you'll realize its more of an apology.

That statement, my friend, is golden. I will print this out and frame it. hahaha :lol:

After I moved to a new office in the beginning of November (2008) I now have come to the R12 CD, student version from Autodesk Press :)

I doubt it will run on Vista...

Be really careful if you do get a "student version" to run. When you plot, it will generate a "stamp" indicating the drawing was made with an educational version of AutoCAD. Using content from such a drawing (ex. - a block) in another drawing made with a commercial (for profit) version of AutoCAD will "infect" the drawing with the same "stamp". Removing the stamp from one drawing is a pain. Removing it from multiple drawings is a really BIG pain.

I didn't know they had that in R12? 1996..

IF it's possible to run this version it's just for fun anyway.

The bonus cd may contain some useful lisp though :)

• 1 month later...

Autodesk needed to apologize to everyone for R13.

Back in those days, I was somewhat younger and less...experienced...with Autodesk's products. I was also the cad admin at the company I was working for at the time. We were using R12 Windows and all the hype for 13's new features was bait I could not resist. I'd had a lot of success with the upgrades from releases 10 and 11 so I went in, sold the management on the upgrade and we ordered it before it was even released.

I began to began to wonder what was going on when I got the first patch (on CD) before I even got the program CDs, and when the second patch was included in the box with the program I was really concerned. Fortunately, I had presence of mind to only install a couple of machines to test. Even after installing both of the patches, the program was an absolute mess. You could hit "ok" in a dialog box, it would disappear and then reappear in an endless loop. You could draw a 3" long line, pop a dimension on it and it would tell you that it was 2 7/8" or some such. Draw a square that was 2 x 2, the dimensions would tell you that it was anything but 2 x 2. It was absolutely horrible. Over the course of the next few months, I uninstalled everyone but me and put R12 back on. I got 3 more patches on CD and a couple via download (which in those days was almost as painful as fooling with floppies) and eventually got it working. Once I had an install that functioned correctly, I passed that out to everyone and then absolutely refused to do any other patches. When my dealer called pushing 14, I said "Oh hell no!" He asked why, and I said there was no way I was going through that again. As far as I was concerned, we had bought our last upgrade and that I was even looking for a different product.

He jumped in his car the next day, drove the 200+ miles to my office, and brought me a copy of R14 and even offered to install it for me. Said i could use it for 30 days, and if I didn't like it or had any problems with it, he'd pay for the first copy of what ever I wanted to switch to. Fortunately for him, it was as good as promised so we bought 6 seats just to get 13 off the machines.

On a different subject, how many of you remember the Windows "extension" for R11?

The extension for R11? I think so. Wasn't that "c2" or am I thinking of something else? I'm pretty sure I've got it back at the office.

My favorite was R11 on Ultrix :)

I also remember R13C4d etc, I was working for a reseller at that time, quite embarassing. We also had the problems with Norwegian characters (æøåÆØÅ) turning into "?" in millions of drawings...