What would be YOUR approach to do this?

marlon

This is a steel plate with a hole/dimple.

Plate with dimple hole.jpg

Front close up of hole.

Close Up Front.jpg

Rear close up of hole.

Close Up Back.jpg

But what if the plate is bent to an arc

Bent Plate.jpg

What would be YOUR approach to making the hole/dimple then? Obviously the hole/dimple would also have bent shape. Thanks guys!!!:D

Here's one approach.. punch your whole thru your arc plate. Draw the shape of your lip and create it into a region or closed poly. Copy the back edge of the hole (using copy edges tool - will be a spline) and you're gonna use that as your path to extrude or sweep the lip shape. You may need to break that closed spline into 2 pieces then sweep the half, mirror it and union them.

Then align your lip to the plate and union them. Do a fillet on the front of your hole.

Untitled-3.jpg

lets concentrate on the nipple(?) o:)

1. draw a solid and hollow object (same kind).

2 use the solid object to be subtracted by the panel.

3. slice the hollow nipple using a surface from of a panel.

4 union

5 fillet the sharp edges.

.. but i know there is another way.. ill try to figure it out or maybe the guys could support you too...:P

just curiuos, Could you fillet solids in CAD 2002?

I never tried it when i was using that version, it was only in CAD 2007 that i got to use it.

Yeah there's a few a other ways of doing it. ACAD 2002 does not have the Slice by Surface I believe though. Might need to create an inverse solid of the plate arc shape and use the subtract instead.

Untitled-3.jpg

... as a our companys motto... "we find ways" if there is no way of slice, then create another solid behind and subtract... the process can be done until 2000, only the slice by surface is not. :glare:

in 2002 i may try to do this using intersect but id have to think about it a bit. Off hand id say draw a sphere and a box, union those two with the sphere half out of the box. shell that. then draw your plate bent how you need, and add a cube where you need your dimple. union those. then do an intersect command. im kinda tired after my road trip so i may be way off base, if so, sorry:)