TurboCad

conway

Hey guys sorry if this sounds like a noob question, im a young lad with enthusism for 3d modelling and design, thinking it would be easy peasy, well, 3ds max, lightwave, cinema 4d and countless other programs seem to get my mind boggling after 10 minutes of use, so i think i'll start with something that seems abit more simple and try 2d for starters, im using TurboCad how similar is this to AutoCad? are there any dedicated sites for Turbocad or does turbo and autocad have pretty much the same controls? or shall i get autocad instead? I know this isnt something that can be learnt overnight! but im going to give it a good go! and hope to design something green, like eco-friendly houses, wind-turbines and all that stuff (its not for a job or anything, just something im passionate about) say for something like a wind-turbine id maybe like to turn that into a 3d model and make a video of it moving and things, can i do with CAD or will i need a 3d program to import and convert it into? sorry for the rant! o:) o:) o:)

EDIT: Im also running XP Pro, Amd X2 5200 @ 2.6GHZ, 2GB RAM, Asus M2N-e SLI Mobo with a XFX Nvidia 8600GT GPU n 500GB Sata Drive, is there any need to upgrade any of this? or is this an ok setup?

just to throw a spanner in the works, and as I didn't like TurboCAD when it was forced on me by the boss's architect many years ago.... Have you tried SketchUp?

Con...

I was told that Turbo was 100% compatible with Autocad drawing formats. It wasn't and often got error messages saying something could not be shown due to.....

Now, Visio (or Microsoft) Intellicad is about 80% compatible, but much better at showing things instead of making an excuse as to why it can't be shown.

Wm.

I have TurboCAD Pro 15 and have no problem open and saving AutoCAD drawings. Earlier this year I started doing 3D 'stuff' in TurboCAD and I think TurboCAD is just as easy to use as AutoCAD and actually have some extra tools that I really missed when I moved to AutoCAD - but anything you can do in TurboCAD you can do in AutoCAD and vice versa (I guess).

There is a dedicated TurboCAD site. It is still in the old 'news group format' and takes a bit to get used to, but there are lots of knowledgeable people there.

Getting there is kind of hidden, go to

http://www.turbocad.com/Support/SupportOverview/tabid/553/Default.aspx

Then click on “TurboCAD user forum” in the upper left corner

You might be asked to register, then eventually you will get to the “TurboCAD User conference” page.

By the way - 3D in TurboCAD Premium is limited in the sense it only supports TC Surface, but not solids and many of the 3D tools are missing. So it is possible to do 'some' 3D playing in TurboCAD Premium but if you want to use solids you should consider Pro.

I know of people how does not like TurboCAD, but I still think it is a great value ($50 for the Premium). But now after I - finally - got used to AutoCAD I would not switch back.

Jesper