Isometric Drawing pt. 2

J-Rod#1

how do you rotate a line thats in isometric view and it come out right. i have a drawing thats in iso and im trying to rotate a line 30 degrees from the top line so i can create a Locking Collar. it has 12x 30 degrees so i can complete but everytime i try to rotate the line, i dont hink the computer is doing what i want it to....:reallymad:

its driving me :wacko:

I've got a question first. Do you have your UCS Icon visible?

If not, the first thing you need to do is turn it on so you can see what plane you are working on. AutoCAD will only rotate objects in the xy plane and it sounds as though you are getting unexpected results due to the UCS not being adjusted to the plane you need.

JR22-7.dwg

the dimensions say 12x 30 degrees from the center of the drawing, shown in blue, now i think i did it correct from the middle and its 30 degrees to the left, but my problem is is that all of them are not spaced out correct, how can i draw at least the line from the middle, 30 degrees 12 times so that they are all evenly spaced out

Well I guess I answered my own question. It is a 2D drawing done using the standard Isometric drawing planes accessed via the Snap command. The UCSicon was off. Turned on it displays as one would expect if looking at a normal plan view.

I stopped using this method to draw isometrics. I now draw the object in 3D and then select the isometric view that best depicts the object. Gone are the days when I had to figure out how to draw a line at an angle that wasn't considered "normal" for an isometric.

[ATTACH]8597[/ATTACH]

the dimensions say 12x 30 degrees from the center of the drawing, shown in blue, now i think i did it correct from the middle and its 30 degrees to the left, but my problem is is that all of them are not spaced out correct, how can i draw at least the line from the middle, 30 degrees 12 times so that they are all evenly spaced out

How are you rotating the lines? Are you using the rotate command? If so I don't think that will work as the lines will rotate along the current xy plane and not along the plane you want. As a suggestion, draw an isocircle and use the divide command to divide the isocircle into 12 parts. Make sure you set a point style to show the divisions. This will at least show you the spacings for the midpoints of the top edge. Does that make sense? Does it help?

JR22-7a.dwg

How are you rotating the lines? Are you using the rotate command? If so I don't think that will work as the lines will rotate along the current xy plane and not along the plane you want. As a suggestion, draw an isocircle and use the divide command to divide the isocircle into 12 parts. Make sure you set a point style to show the divisions. This will at least show you the spacings for the midpoints of the top edge. Does that make sense? Does it help?

ooooooooooooooooooh dang thats alot better than tryna do what i did lol im in school thats why its intermediate and not like 3d drawings, sorry guys but thanks alot!!! i learned something new now:D

ooooooooooooooooooh dang thats alot better than tryna do what i did lol im in school thats why its intermediate and not like 3d drawings, sorry guys but thanks alot!!! i learned something new now:D

You're welcome. You will still have to make sure that everything is in the correct position as the divide command doesn't give you that much flexibility in relation to positioning. As I mentioned it was done as an example.

The preferred option is to go with ReMark's suggestion and draw the object in 3D. Then you can take whatever view you like of the object. Either way, good luck with it.