Annotation

peat01

I am having problems annotating dims etc... Can anyone explain how it works and the best way to annotate drawings? :cry:

Here is an example that I posted in another thread.

Here is a very simple example to show it working. I use metric so will describe it that way.

Draw a square in model space, say 40x40 units. Dimension the square using a dimstyle, with the text and arrow size set to the size you want when plotted (e.g. text size 3.5, arrow size 2.5) and the DIMSCALE set to 1. Dimension one side of the square. (Make sure that the annotation scale on the bottom right of the screen is set to 1:1)

There are a number of ways to add the annotation scaling, but I prefer to do it after all the dimensions have been placed and when I know what scales I want to print at. Therefore I don't choose annotative when I create the dimension style under fit (personal preference as, in my opinion, it leads to confusion). So say that you want to set up an A4 layout and want 2 views, one at 1:1 and one at 1:2.

Select the dimension in MS, click properties and in the properties pallette under MISC change annotative from No to Yes. (This assumes that you didn't click annotative when creating the dimension style under 'fit'). The scale underneath should come up at 1:1 so that's already added. Click on the button with the 3 dots and a dialogue box opens. Click add and then add the 1:2 scale.

In your A4 layout, make 2 viewports, one at 1:1 and one at 1:2. The dims in the 1:1 viewport should be fine but the dims in the other viewport will be half the size they should be. (At this point previously, you would have had to set up an new layer and dimstyle etc etc.). Now, just click on the viewport and on the annotation scale at the bottom right, apply 1:2 to that viewport. The annotations display at the correct size.

If you want a view at a different scale, just add that scale to the dimension(s) and apply that scale to the viewport. Easy! Also, you can now pick and choose what scales you want to add to what dimensions increasing flexibility.

As I say that is a simple example but the concept doesn't change.

Hope it helps.