a desperate linetype plea!

Wise

I work in a industry that has been primarily accustom to 2D drafting drawings since the beginning of autocad, recently we have moved into designing entire projects in 3D, Line types have been something that we used for aesthetic reasons, to differentiate wall lines from Center Lines, but now with the future of 3D design this does not work, so here is my question!

Is there ANY way to get 3D poly lines to show its line type rather then a solid line?

What exactly do you do?

The majority of my drawings are completed initially in 3d, and then broken down into 2d drawings for production. Doing this, I get to use all of my line-types that are needed to express drawings. You may look into using the SOLVIEW & SOLDRAW commands to get all of the views that you want.

I don't have an answer, just an observation-

if you explode the 3dpolyline to lines, then the linetype will display.

I believe you're correct, not possible for 3dpolylines to display other than continuous.

yea that works but its a lot of work for making some prints, also the ramp tends to be 1 LONG 3d Polyline and does not work well when explodeing it, I dident think there was a real solution thought i would ask thanks :)

That answers that. Unfortunately, I do not know how to change line types like that, though seeing the lines at different angles; it may change the spacing depending on the view angle.

Are you using hidden viewports, or is everything 2d wire-frame?

Modify-Object-Polyline

Select the polyline

type "L" for Ltype gen

and turn this option ON

That works for a standard 2d polyline, and can be accessed through the properties palette. This option does not work for 3d polylines however. At this point I am not aware of anyway to make a 3d polyline generate a linetype.

I am using, 3D polylines, 3D mesh, 3D solids, very little of my drawing is done in 2D, basically its the 3D Poly lines that I have trouble with, the entire Mine is Drawn in 3D then each level (layout) is a cliped part of that mine ie 4000Level, 5000level, 6000Level ect, all the lines, wall lines, and centerlines are 3D polys