Blocks and insertion units question

soleary

Guys - this is a situation that I came across just today and I was wondering what was the most efficient way of addressing it.

Someone created a symbol library of blocks with the units set to 'inches'. This was done in error. They were meant to be created in mm. So the actual dimensions values are correct but they are the wrong units. So these are created as internal blocks within the imperial drawing.

Therefore, when I insert these blocks into my metric drawing they come in 25.4 times too big. So say one dimension of the block was created at 100 inches, I want it to appear as 100 mm.

There are lots of blocks in the symbol library so I don't want to have to redefine them all. Is there a way I can do this by setting the insertion scale units?

But your best option would be to write a script file to change the variable insunits to 4 and save the drawing. then using sciptpro, run it over the drawings in your block library

0.0393700787 this is the scale factor you will need when inserting a block with "inch" units to a drawing with "mm" units.

1/25.4

Thanks feargt. I know that I can scale the blocks using the scale factor as you suggested but that's not what I'm after. I can also redefine the blocks but I don't want that either.

I want to know if I can set the insertion units of either drawing so that it will work 'automatically'

insunits is the variable for insertion units. By changing it in the blocks u will eliminate problems that others may have later too.

Running the script is very practical here and simple enough too.

if u need help with a script file just ask.

But a way around it is to set insunits in the current drawing to 1, insert the block then change the insunits to 4 again

insunits is the variable for insertion units. By changing it in the blocks u will eliminate problems that others may have later too.

Do you mean in the block definition?

But a way around it is to set insunits in the current drawing to 1, insert the block then change the insunits to 4 again

This is the workaround that I was looking for, thanks. I can see the logic behind it now. The only thing is that in properties it is still showing up as 'inches'. I guess without changing the block definition, there is no option here?

On the [units] tab in Format -> Drawing Setup is your 'Scale Objects Inserted From Other Drawings' checked?
Thanks for your reply. I don't have this option in my version. I think it's available to me under -dwgunits. However, when I changed the 'scale objects inserted from other drawings' from Yes to No, it didn't work.

Hi All

First off, I must apologise for this post - as I posted it recently. I'm not out to waste anyone's time but I'm still in a bit of a fix over it and the post seems to be getting lost below :unsure: .

My original post is as follows:

Guys - this is a situation that I came across just today and I was wondering what was the most efficient way of addressing it.

Someone created a symbol library of blocks with the units set to 'inches'. This was done in error. They were meant to be created in mm. So the actual dimensions values are correct but they are the wrong units. So these are created as internal blocks within the imperial drawing.

Therefore, when I insert these blocks into my metric drawing they come in 25.4 times too big. So say one dimension of the block was created at 100 inches, I want it to appear as 100 mm.

There are lots of blocks in the symbol library so I don't want to have to redefine them all. Is there a way I can do this by setting the insertion scale units?

Another member posted the solution to change insunits to 1 and then back again to 4. While this works in the drawing that I am inserting the blocks into, it's not ideal, as everyone else inserting the blocks will have to do the same (as we work in metric).

So the best thing for me to do (I think) is to change the insertion units in the block definition in the symbol library drawing. Is there an easy way to do this 'globally' or do I need a script to do it?

Or if anyone has any better ideas, I would welcome them.

Thanks in advance...

Please don't start multiple threads for the same question - it makes searching for answers by other users rather difficult :thumbsup:

Ah apologies. I didn't know the correct procedure. Won't happen again.....