Best Way To Import An Excel File To AutoCAD?

AQucsaiJr

I have an excel table I need to import to AutoCAD, but I need to import it in a way that I can edit it in AutoCAD. Any suggestions?

In the insert table window' date=' check "from a datalink". Create a name for the link and select the desired excel table.[/quote']

yeh that's the way i would do it dont forget to check the similar threads at the bottom of the page

I could not find the insert table command you spoke of but i did find a way to do this:

You can bring an Excel spreadsheet into AutoCAD® as an AutoCAD table object. Follow these steps:

1. In Microsoft Excel, select the spreadsheet area that you want to import, and copy it to the clipboard.
  2. In AutoCAD, on the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
  3. In the Paste Special dialog box, select the AutoCAD Entities option. This will create an AutoCAD table that can be formatted to match the linetype and text style.

twas going to say you can just Ctrl C the area of spreadsheet you require into your CAD dwg Crtl V... then if you want to edit the excel just double click inside the table and change accordingly. :D

twas going to say you can just Ctrl C the area of spreadsheet you require into your CAD dwg Crtl V... then if you want to edit the excel just double click inside the table and change accordingly. :D

This is how I used to do this, which is easy right?

Well, one day I leaned on my keyboard and since then, when i double click or otherwise attempt to open any OLE an error pops up and says, "Failed to launch server application!"

No one seems to know how to fix this. I also can't drap & drop attachments from outlook anymore too - but that's another forum....

ANY help would be great.

Well, one day I leaned on my keyboard and...ANY help would be great.

Get a new keyboard :P

Actually I'd recommend first setting up a named range in your excel file and then create a new datalink. Select that (excel) file and the named range, you should see a rectangle in the preview window. Then expand advanced settings (circle with right pointing arrow inside) and check over those options. You can treat it like an X-Ref and reload the information from the excel file into your drawing (from context menu when table is selected) or you can push the changes back into the excel file (again from the context menu).

Make a few sample files and mess around with it, we're using it for all of our fastening schedules and it works MAH-volously.

this creates an OLE object with plenty of other problems. Have you tried to increase the size of a table like this? (Autodesk may have improved it over the years but it used to be a nightmare). Datalink is MUCH better and allows editing the native file and updating the drawing if necessary.

this creates an OLE object with plenty of other problems. Have you tried to increase the size of a table like this? (Autodesk may have improved it over the years but it used to be a nightmare). Datalink is MUCH better and allows editing the native file and updating the drawing if necessary.

Alright Dave...

Haven't come across any problems doing this myself and can scale it up no problem so works well for me.

Still quite interested in Datalink though i will have a play with it. Whats the command?

Already got tables in some drawings which update themselves when i do Data Extraction is this the same thing?

as I said, it may have improved but if you added (say) 5 lines to a 35 line table you might only have 38 lines visible and the only way to get all 40 was to ctrlX ctrlV the table.

I've just noticed that you are on 2006 so I'm not sure if you get datalink with that or you have to wait for 2008. I'll check where it is on 2008 at work tomorrow.