Confused About Point Styles

Hi, everybody - this is my first post in this forum, but it's been helping me for months with AutoCAD issues. I use AutoCAD 2007, and I have a problem with a design survey I received recently from a surveyor, in that the points that represent tree trunks are part of a block that also shows the tree number. The survey serves as a base over which we provide our civil site design using multiple PS layouts for each design component, such as grading, utilities, etc. On each of the layouts, I want to screen the trees, so in Layer Properties Manager, I have changed the color to magenta, one of my screened colors.

However, when I plot, the dripline of the trees and the tree numbers look appropriate, but the "cross" that represents the center of the tree trunk prints much too faintly, and almost can't be seen.

I've tried exploding the block in order to change the line weight of the "cross", but when the block is exploded, the tree number loses its information, and becomes "tree no." instead of (for example) "#15535".

I've spoken with the surveyor, but he hasn't a clue about how he can change the block in order for the "cross" to display better. I've had this issue with his surveys before, and would often just place my own "cross" symbol in the middle of the tree driplines - no problem when there are only a few trees on a site, but for this particular project there are over 500 trees.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, and could possibly offer me some advice? It would be much appreciated.....

Thanks!

Michael

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dbroada

• rustysilo

• MS-S

• eldon

Hi, Strix - thanks for your response. I apologize profusely for my lack of knowledge, but I'm not quite sure how to accomplish what you've suggested I do. Would the drawing file be the survey, or my file that uses the survey as a base? Are the attributes you refer to the information that I see when I explode the blocks with the tree information? Finally, how do I update and edit this information? Again, sorry - I'm just not that familiar with these terms.

don't explode the block - as you already know you will lose information already contained within your block. As you are using 2007, highlight one of your blocks then type BEDIT. That will give you a screen that you can edit the block definition. Once you have changed your lineweights you can save the edit and ALL blocks of that type will update without losing their information.

Stix's suggestion achieves the same result but is more suitable for older versions of AutoCAD.

If the cross that represents the centre of a tree trunk is actually an AutoCAD Point, then you can't assign a line-weight to a point.

You can use BURST from express tools, which explodes a block, but converts the attribute to text.

Then if the centre of the trunk is actually a point, use a lisp from Jeffery P Sanders NODESERT, which puts a block at every point. You can make your own block for the centre of the tree, and don't use a point!

I've had this issue with his surveys before, and would often just place my own "cross" symbol in the middle of the tree driplines - no problem when there are only a few trees on a site, but for this particular project there are over 500 trees.
if each tree is produced with a different block then you are right, you have a big problem but if every tree is an individual instance of the same block (or one of a few blocks) you only have to change one block for all 500 to be updated.

You can use BURST from express tools, which explodes a block, but converts the attribute to text.

You have just made my day Eldon!! :shock::D

I can't say the number of times that I have exploded a block just to have the attributes stare me in the eye....:glare:

And yes yes, I know, I shouldn't explode things but sometimes, it's all I can do!o:)

if each tree is produced with a different block then you are right, you have a big problem but if every tree is an individual instance of the same block (or one of a few blocks) you only have to change one block for all 500 to be updated.

Yeah, apparently each of the 500+ trees is a separate block - I guess I'll just have to learn to live without tree trunks being shown in my drawings. Like Tiger, though, just learning about the BURST comand made all this worth while.

Thanks again, everybody, for all your help.....

Yeah, apparently each of the 500+ trees is a separate block -
a separate block or a different block? If separate, that's how its meant to be done - if different then I would change your design team.

They should all be instances of the same block which can be edited as dbroada suggested. I would select the block > right-click > block editor > select all items in block and set color to bylayer > exit block editor and save.

You should then be able to control the appearance via layer manager.

If you can't get this to work then feel free to upload the file or email it to me if too big.

a separate block or a different block? If separate, that's how its meant to be done - if different then I would change your design team.
If it's a landscaping layout, then there'll most likely be several different blocks, but not 500 :?

Generally with a tree survey the point blocks will all be the same block, but there may be a surveyor out there that has a different block for each tree type.

A surveyor who uses a civil/survey package like most of us (engineers/surveyors) do would import the points and have a block inserted at the point locations using point styles and/or desc keys.

only if certain people are drawing them :D

I don't think we want to go there yet. I think that only becomes relavent if dynamic blocks have been used but even then, don't they still have a link back to the parent that allows graphical changes to permeate through? (Don't know, haven't tried)

I am unable to open the file. "drawing file is not valid"

note: I used 7zip to extract the file. Either the compression method was whack or the dwg file itself was. The dwg is 0 kb after extracting.