File lock timeout?

hermelin

I have a question regarding file locks when opening DWG files.

Say user A connect to a server X using VPN and via the network open a file which is located on file server Y and saves it from time to time. User B then cannot open that file as it is locked by user A. What I would like to know for certain is what happens if the VPN connection for user A temporaily drops, is the file lock then lost at the server so that user B can open and edit the file and potentially overwriting the changes user A has made, or potentially causing them to work on the same file at the same time? What about file locks and their timeout period in this scenario?

/Andreas

I have a question regarding file locks when opening DWG files.

Say user A connect to a server X using VPN and via the network open a file which is located on file server Y and saves it from time to time. User B then cannot open that file as it is locked by user A. What I would like to know for certain is what happens if the VPN connection for user A temporaily drops, is the file lock then lost at the server so that user B can open and edit the file and potentially overwriting the changes user A has made, or potentially causing them to work on the same file at the same time? What about file locks and their timeout period in this scenario?

/Andreas

2 people working on the same file at same time is not possible.

In the aboe senario, whatevr chnages user A has made after his last 'qsave' will be lost, he will have to do the save as of that file in his local drive & when the connection is restored save it back to server. In the meantime user B opens that file & make some changes but if user A replaces the file his(user B) changes will be lost & if does not than the changes he made will not be in the drawing afetr last 'qsave' before connection failed.

2 people working on the same file at same time is not possible.

In the aboe senario, whatevr chnages user A has made after his last 'qsave' will be lost, he will have to do the save as of that file in his local drive & when the connection is restored save it back to server. In the meantime user B opens that file & make some changes but if user A replaces the file his(user B) changes will be lost & if does not than the changes he made will not be in the drawing afetr last 'qsave' before connection failed.

Thanks! Do you know how long the file lock remains after user A loses the connection to the server? I understand that the DWL-file is controlling this, is there any documentation on this file and how it works?

Thanks! Do you know how long the file lock remains after user A loses the connection to the server? I understand that the DWL-file is controlling this, is there any documentation on this file and how it works?

I wasn't sure about that, so I tried out that senario here with other computer. & it seems that lockout does not open until 3-5 miniutes.but after 3 min. I was able to open that drawing.

I wasn't sure about that, so I tried out that senario here with other computer. & it seems that lockout does not open until 3-5 miniutes.but after 3 min. I was able to open that drawing.

Nice to know, thanks! Do you know if this setting is configurable so that you can raise the timeout?

Sorry, no idea.

I will check with the netwrok (IT) people later on & try to find out.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to your reply! Thanks for helping me out :)

I just talked to him & he says that to be able to keeep the lock on file, I will have to install 'Version control software'. fater that whenever I access that file using that & untill I submit back, it will open only as read only in other people's computer.

I just talked to him & he says that to be able to keeep the lock on file, I will have to install 'Version control software'. fater that whenever I access that file using that & untill I submit back, it will open only as read only in other people's computer.

Yep, a CVS system is what I figured as well but I am very happy with the answer. Thank you so much for the help!