from ipt to dwg?

pvd

Hi all,

I've an ipt in which I have several sketches on different workplanes. Is there a way to convert this ipt into a dwg for further use as a 3D Model in Autocad? I've no surfaces or solids to convert, just a bunch of lines. I've been trying "save copy as": iges, sat, step, slt but so far no results.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pvd

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• Safwah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pvd: Forgive me for being so bold but I must respectfully disagree with you. I believe Inventor can actually "export" to a number of different file formats. One of those, perhaps DXF, can be imported into AutoCAD. Please check your Help files under the word export. If I am wrong then I'll offer a sincere apology and crawl back under the pile of scrap metal from which I came.

lol, no need to apologise for what so ever, I appreciate your efforts to help. I've been looking in the help-file but so far it all comes back to the "save copy as" command. Anyway, I'll have a look at it a little more and I'll let you know if you we're right!

Thanks again

ipt will be different to idw. Since its a part file and not a drawing file. One way you could try (since its just sketches in the ipt) is right click on the sketches in the browser and select "share sketch", you could then "save copy as" a dwg format.

Im not able to check if that works right now tho but it might.

There may also be a right click option on the sketch in browser to directly export the sketch. Or finally export the drawing and there might be an option like "export sketches only" or something. Like i said cant check at this time but let me know if anything helps.

I tryed right-clicking on the sketches in the browser. I've an option "export face as" and there I can turn the sketch into a dwg. But then I get the different sketches into different files (as I can only export one sketch at the time) and I loose my 3D model. I came close but so far no cigar...I've no option "share sketch" in this case. There's still an option "export object" but so far I haven't notice what it does when I select it...

Thanks

Disclaimer: I do not use Inventor. I'd like to learn it however.

Anyway, back to your problem.

You say that you can "save as" a .sat file. That's good. Do that. Then open AutoCAD and type on the command line: acisin and then press Enter. You should see a pop-up window with the heading Select ACIS file. At the bottom of this window you should also see: Files of type: ACIS (*.sat). Above that will be a line that says: File name: Find your .sat file then click on the Open button to the right. Try it and let us know what happens.

I think this will be your best shot at getting your linework into AutoCAD and my best shot at an answer. Good luck.

F2-screen only says "acisin". Changing background colour doesn't make a difference. Maybe there's already something going wrong when I change it to a sat-file but the only option I have there is to choose between sat-versions (4.0 -7.0) but neither changing this makes a difference. Keep those advices coming, I'll keep my hopes up high! If I'll get out of it myself, I'll let you know.

Well I'm left scratching my head. You had a good .sat file that you tried to get into AutoCAD using the acisin command and it appears that nothing what-so-ever happened? Did you try a zoom all or a zoom extents? Maybe the linework is just off your screen.

Unless you can somehow generate a DXF file from within Inventor (the only other file type other than DWG) that is native to AutoCAD I am stumped on how to achieve your goal.

There is one forum member who is very knowledgeable in all things Inventor and that is J.D.Mather. I wonder if he would be so kind as to provide some insight into your dilemma?

As I said, I do not use Inventor; my knowledge of the software is about 0% (and that's on a good day - LOL). Sorry.

Thanks a lot anyway, then I'll hope J.D.Mather will show up one of these with the magic trick to get my lines into dwg/dxf. i've ran out of inspiration too at the moment.

I think this link is a solution for viewing inventor2008-dwg-files in to earlier versions of autocad. Once I've my lines in a dwg format in Inventor, it's no prob anymore to open them in Autocad. The problem is to get them out of my ipt-file. But thanks again. If there's anything else that comes up to you....

After trying to do it at work yesturday i dont think its really possible or if it is its prob a real drama to get done. The way i imagine what your trying to do is basically export 3d information from an inventor ipt to be used in autocad. This is ok for solid models but when ur talking multiple sketches in different planes in a 3d space, it just cant output lines in a 3d space.

If you just needed each sketch exported on its own it could be possible to create and idw and create views of each sketch then export each sketch, then maybe rearrange the sketchs in autocad. Maybe a 3d sketch can be exported to autocad?

But after all this i would have been able to draw the same thing in autocad heh. Inventor is a powerfull program, but you start to find its limitations after a while of using it =/ If i ever do find an answer ill be sure to let you know.

Thanks for the efforst Safwah. As you say, I already started drawing these lines in Autocad. But I'm still very curious if there's a way to do this in Inventor.

Cheers

• 2 years later...
Hi all,

I've an ipt in which I have several sketches on different workplanes. Is there a way to convert this ipt into a dwg for further use as a 3D Model in Autocad? I've no surfaces or solids to convert, just a bunch of lines. I've been trying "save copy as": iges, sat, step, slt but so far no results.

Thanks in advance.

I believe if you go to the AEC Exchange tab you will see " Save as DWG Solids ".

Click and save as your DWG.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot anyway, then I'll hope J.D.Mather will show up one of these with the magic trick to get my lines into dwg/dxf. i've ran out of inspiration too at the moment.

What happened to my post on the topic?

I'll try to be a little kinder on this one.

Why are you trying to do what you are trying to do?

Then I'll tell you how.

I just can't figure out why you would do what you are trying to do.

I believe if you go to the AEC Exchange tab you will see " Save as DWG Solids ".

Click and save as your DWG.

Hope this helps.

It might have helped 2 1/2 years ago.