Color Not Needed

Bill Tillman

I'm about to plot my drawing which is a set of residential stairs and handrails I created in 3D. I set the layout tab to use Monochrome. In order to get the view I wanted in one of the viewports on the layout tab I am using SHADE+3DHidden. Unfortunately when I do this, the print preview still comes out in color. I'm using CutePDF as my printer driver and even when I tried the built-in PDF driver with ACAD 2009 I'm still getting a color print preview.

Of course when the printer prints this it's only black and white so it will not be in color but the colored lines will be different shades of grey instead of monochrome black and white. What do I need to do to resolve this one?

You will need to set up a Visual Style using only black colors inorder to get this to work.

Once you have one set up that works drag it over to a tool palette because it won't be there later in the Visual Styles Manager.

start plot and select a mono ctb file. You may have to enlarge your plot box to see all the options. Click the arrow in the lower right corner (seen here already clicked)

MonoPlot.jpg

I have tried the method defined above but still colors appear in the previews.

The layout properties are set to use Monochrome and I even expanded the menu in the actual plot procedure to be sure that Monochrome is what is being used. Still the print previews are coming up in color.

As for the first suggestion of setting up a Visual Style, I'm confused as to why I didn't need this previously. I have created other 2D drawings using color and when I print or print preview them using the Monochrome setting it all works fine. Is this an issue of using SHADE+3DHidden instead of 2DWireframe?

It wasn't this way (plotting 3D) until visual styles were introduced. Then it became necessary to create a visual style using black to get a black output. Maybe use, Mview, Shademode, hidden, pick the viewport. In the viewport itself have that set to Shademode, 2d. This way you aren't using visual styles at all and you will get the results you are expecting.