Purge & Save Increasing file size

CadiCad

Hello folk,

Ive been using AutoCad for roughly 8 years now, however in all my time i have never came across this problem before.

I have AutoCad 2007 LT at my work.

I'm working on a project right now and this file that I received from my customer is roughly 7MB in size. When I open the file and immediately save it the file size increases to 28MB in size. Even when i remove everything in the drawing by hitting Ctrl-A and erase it and purge the drawing and remove the layouts remove all X-refs the file size still increases to 14MB.

How is this possible? I tried searching help and I came across a command by the name of ISAVEPERCENT I'm not to sure how this command works and not sure if this is the solution to my problems..

My questions are the following:

1. Why is this happening?

2. Is there a command that the creator of the file knows about that I don't? If so what is it.

3. Why is purging this file causing it to be greater?

4. What is in this file that is causing it to act this way?

Need advice ASAP.

Thank you,

Solution:

1. Go to Tools Menu,
  2. Then options dialog box,
  3. Then open & save settings
  4. Then Save as options
  5. Then change it to its original format.

For example I am using 2007 LT I had it saving as 2000 LT. There must be some type of conversion factor setting the drawing to be read in a 2000 LT format causing the file size to be greater.

CadiCad

This will not solve your problem but we had the same thing happening. We were copying the layout tabs from one drawing into another and again and again. When we did this the drawing file size began to grow exponentially. 2mb to 4mb to 8mb and so on all before the first line was drawn. To solve our problem we set up a special template for the job and used that for our layout tabs. If you find out the answer please post.

This will not solve your problem but we had the same thing happening. We were copying the layout tabs from one drawing into another and again and again. When we did this the drawing file size began to grow exponentially. 2mb to 4mb to 8mb and so on all before the first line was drawn. To solve our problem we set up a special template for the job and used that for our layout tabs. If you find out the answer please post.

Did you import them using the design center?

Have you attempted the WBLOCK command to create a copy? And if you have, was there a noticeable size difference?

Creating blocks only increases the file size because its inserting one drawing into another. So doesn't binding the xref that they had in the drawing?

I can't seem to get a hold of the creator of the file.

When I came here there was a problem similar to this. A file containing roughly 200 items Lines, blocks, text and an xref was roughly 3MB. It was ridiculous.

What i did was create a new dwg. Import all of the Dim styles and text styles, plot styles and the file went down to roughly 100kb.

However I can't do that with this file because my computer freezes! and AutoCad crashes.

NEW TWIST.

• I told my Coworker to open the same file and save it. NOTHING HAPPENED!

• I then told him to OPEN it purge it then save it and the file when down roughly 2MB.

It must be a setting somewhere!

Is the drawing in question in 3D?

Only the pipes in the drawings. Everything else is 2D.

Could it be caused by maybe a setting default of Drawing Extents or Drawing Limits?

I FIGURED IT OUT

:D I love it when this happens....

Solution:

1. Go to Tools Menu,
  2. Then options dialog box,
  3. Then open & save settings
  4. Then Save as options
  5. Then change it to its original format.

For example I am using 2007 LT I had it saving as 2000 LT. There must be some type of conversion factor setting the drawing to be read in a 2000 LT format causing the file size to be greater.

Thanks for your help

CadiCad