microstation vs autocad

dadamczyk

I have a chance to get a job using autocad. The problem is that all my experience is with microstation. I know that they are similar but what would it take to learn autocad after using microstation for so long?

Thanks for all the input. Can anybody suggest any books or publications that i could get to help me along? Saw some AutoCAD for dummies but there are many of them. Which would be the best for me?

Welcome dadamczyk to the forums!

Never used microstation but, if you know your product, know drawings, AutoCAD will become 2nd nature.

You could study some at home, online and OJT (On the Job Training)!

Good luck and, if you have the itch, scratch it!

they are very different animals, don't underestimate the challenge that faces you. Knowing one gives you a head start over non users but I haven't yet met anyone totally comfortable with both. There are several threads on this subject, just scroll down and look at the "similar threads" list there. Click around.

At least one member here (Jonesy?) does use both but she isn't around much at the moment and may not see you.

did you do any customizing in MS for like keyboard shortcuts??? IF all you did was use the toolbars, than all youll have to do is turn the toolbars on in ACAD until you get used to the concept of the command line.... The way I see it is that they both put out the same product and they are just tools to get your job done...If you know one youll be able to pick up the other....

Welcome to the world of Autodesk AutoCAD.

By far a variety pak of the same commands. Get to know your new best buddy by comparing iconic commands first and foremost.

AutoCAd will navigate much the same way via menu toolbars & flyouts. I am a novice with MicroStation8, but I could get around much the same in when clicking icons for line, copy, text edit & so on.

Good Luck.