Radius 2 cylinders

spursnutter

Hi,

I am try to radius 2 cylinders at 90 degrees but cant seem to do it with the fillet tool. Is it even possible to do it with the fillet tool or would I have to use polyline with arc and then extrude it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spursnutter

• MaxwellEdison

• ReMark

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to help, but I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Do you want to join 2 cylinders, fillet or chamfer seperate cylinders, or something else entirely?

Can you post an example of the profile you're trying to acheive maybe?

If you imagine 2 tubes/cylinders touching each other on one end 90 degrees to one another i could use the interfere tool and slice them so there are mitred. I want to have a tube that has a 90 degree bend with a radius of, say, 70mm. I will try to post an example for you.

Draw it all in 2D then extrude.

Yes I have done, but I was wondering if it is possible with using the fillet tool like you would with two lines or or solid box that you would want a radius on one edge. More curiosity than problem. I like to know as many ways of doing something. Can never know too much:wink:

If you are trying to make a pipe elbow, you can try unioning a sphere at the joint, or draw a polyline with the radius bend you want and extrude a circle using the polyline as a path. See my example below.

Pipe Elbow.dwg

Is that a centerline radius or the radius of the interior corner? What are you doing for the outside corner (retaining the bevel)?

Thats CL then for the external or internal radius you just Add or Minus half the diameter of the tube.

If you are trying to make a pipe elbow, you can try unioning a sphere at the joint, or draw a polyline with the radius bend you want and extrude a circle using the polyline as a path. See my example below.

Just out of curiosity, how did you do the split model page? so you can have a different view but in the same model space?

First. Can you demonstrate the trick of using the Interfere and Slice commands to mitre a bend?

Second. I don't think AutoCAD will understand what you're trying to do with the two cylinders. If you try to use the fillet command to construct the radius, after your pick(s), AutoCAD will tell you No fillet to be computed.

VPORTS, just like adding multiple viewports in paperspace. That particular setup was 2 Vertical. If you're in classic mode instead of the ribbon its View->Viewports->2 Viewports

I find its incredibly handy when you need to keep an isometric view floating around.

First. Can you demonstrate the trick of using the Interfere and Slice commands to mitre a bend?

Second. I don't think AutoCAD will understand what you're trying to do with the two cylinders. If you try to use the fillet command to construct the radius, after your pick(s), AutoCAD will tell you No fillet to be computed.

Sorry I lost you there on the interfere and slice thingy. I mean to slice 2 tubes so you get a mitre you use the interfere tool and then the 3 point UCS icon and then slice. There is no radius that way just a mitred joint. Sorry if I didn't explain it very well.

I still want to know just how you are using the Interfere command.

I will try to explain.

Take A look at the first image.

I have my 2 intersecting cylinders with the other bit being the interfere bit that you leave on.

Then you do a 3 point axis starting in the center and then top or bottom of the interefered oval and then the side. Once UCS is in right plane you then slice with XY co ordinates

Interfere.jpg

Sliced.jpg

I agree to a point. Like I said before, knowing more than one way to do things is always better. With a normal mitre like that, I agree that it is the long way, but there have been many times with the work I do, steel fabrication, it has come very handy with handrails joints at peculiar angles and pitches. But that isn't to say there isn't another way of doing it, it is just one way.

Unfortunately I have only been using Cad for about 18 months, most of which I have had to learn myself or use help, like this great forum.

I agree completely, "right way" and "wrong way" are completely relative in CAD. You're really only limited by how the drawing is to be used. Some may be fine with nothing more than the line and text commands in paperspace. While such a drawing would raise my blood pressure, if it works for your needs, hooray for you :D .

My 3d experience started by focusing on boolean operators (union, subtract, intersect). However as the tools became more robust I focused more on extrusions, sweeps, lofts, etc. So no matter what it is that floats your particular boat...sail on!

I agree completely, "right way" and "wrong way" are completely relative in CAD. You're really only limited by how the drawing is to be used. Some may be fine with nothing more than the line and text commands in paperspace. While such a drawing would raise my blood pressure, if it works for your needs, hooray for you :D .

My 3d experience started by focusing on boolean operators (union, subtract, intersect). However as the tools became more robust I focused more on extrusions, sweeps, lofts, etc. So no matter what it is that floats your particular boat...sail on!

There is one thing I would love to learn which is loft, but as is, it looks more difficult to get your head around or maybe its just because I don't know where to start with it.